ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

New Computer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott DavisNew Computer
by on Feb 11, 2010 at 9:17:12 pm

Here's a question that's probably been asked before a zillion times: I just got a new Mac for my work, have tons of PAID FOR plug ins that were bought by the folks prior to me and they didn't keep any of the reg codes- I have the purchase orders for them, not the codes. How do I get plug ins from computer a to computer b and have them work?

OSX 10.5.5
Quad 2.5Ghz
8.5 GB RAM
Final Cut Studio 6.0.4
HPX 2000

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: New Computer
by on Feb 11, 2010 at 9:25:56 pm

i would try to get the codes from the developer...

i know it's pretty easy to get them from red giant--i've had to do that a few times, i assume that most of them make it fairly easy, it happens often.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Dave JohnsonRe: New Computer
by on Feb 11, 2010 at 10:32:22 pm

Yep ... what Kevin said. ;~)

I've done this many times and it can be quite a time-consuming pain when dealing with dozens of titles on several machines ... even more so if much time has passed since the original purchases since plugin titles often change hands among developers.

The good news - very many AE plugins show the current registration info by just clicking the "About" or "Help" buttons within the plugin interface. In some cases, you can even use that info to re-install, but at the very least, you can jot it down or screen grab it since that'll by far be the best info to provide to the developer to get current registration info and/or plugin versions.

The bad news - When the above doesn't work, POs aren't always as useful as you might expect since every developer has different procedures ... gather all the info you possibly can (i.e., names of & email addresses used by former staff during purchases) and get organized before you start emailing or calling.

Considering how often plugins are updated, sold to other developers, or any one of other scenarios that create similar predicaments; you might pick one email address, one user name, etc. (that are each unlikely to change frequently), stick to them throughout all your software purchases/registrations and keep track of all that info.

If you're thinking something along the lines of "but I'm an editor, man!", you might consider whether you're the person who should be doing all this ... or might it be the production manager, studio manager or whatever that person is called in your environment?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved