ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Ram Preview in After Effects CS4

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrik GyllströmRam Preview in After Effects CS4
by on Feb 11, 2010 at 9:51:05 am

Hi

I have a 30 sec comp in 1920x1080 that is basiclly a DXP sequence with tre text layers. I am in despreat need to do a full ram preview. But I can only do 15 sec.

Any sugesstions that can help me.

Mac Pro 2x3 GHz Quad Core, 9 Gig Ram, OS x 10.5.6

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Ram Preview in After Effects CS4
by on Feb 11, 2010 at 4:13:58 pm

First, why don't you just render and export the full 30 seconds and view the movie?

But, if you absolutely must have a 30-second RAM preview, then you'll need to do something to decrease the RAM required per unit time. You can decrease the resolution, you can set RAM preview to skip every other frame, you can decrease the color bit depth... That's why there are these options at the bottom of the Preview panel.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Ram Preview in After Effects CS4
by on Feb 11, 2010 at 5:22:03 pm

Unlike my advice, Todd's is ALWAYS sound. You can take his RAM Preview suggestions to the bank. They'll work for you right now.

But if you don't want to compromise the quality of RAM Previews for more duration, you'll need to get more RAM. In its multiprocessing mode, AE can utilize up to 4 GB RAM per core. That does NOT include any RAM you need for the operating system and any other open applications.

So let's see... 8 cores x 4GB + 4GB for good measure = 36 GB. Suddenly your 9 gigs isn't a whole lot.

AE is the ultimate RAM Hog. And it isn't going to get any better. When the next version of AE comes out, it will be 64-bit exclusively... and I'm pretty sure it will be able to access something on the order of 128 GB RAM.

I 'm a little bit fuzzy on that number, but it's certainly safe to say it will be a LOT. Perhaps the Good Mr. Kopriva can clarify for us.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Ram Preview in After Effects CS4
by on Feb 11, 2010 at 5:43:24 pm

The RAM preview frames are all held in the memory space of one process (called the foreground process). Because After Effects is a 32-bit application, the theoretical limit for the amount of RAM that that process can use is 4GB. There are other things eating that RAM, too. See the comment at the bottom of this page for the nitty-gritty details.

So, your 9GB is useful for rendering multiple frames at once and for giving your operating system and other applications plenty of RAM while you work with After Effects. But only 4GB is used by the process that stores RAM previews.

As Dave says, the next major version of After Effects will be a 64-bit application. That means that the theoretical limit for the amount of RAM that one application process can use is absolutely huge---way beyond what you can fit in a computer. But operating systems do impose some limits of their own. I can't give details now, but I will go right up to the line of what I can disclose and say that I've seen some very impressive RAM preview durations with the software currently in development.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]