ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Masking effects in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin H ErikssonMasking effects in After Effects
by on Feb 11, 2010 at 7:41:13 am

Hi.

I'd like to know how to mask an effect without actually masking the entire image!

For example, I'm adding gaussian blur to some images at the moment and I just want parts of the image to be blurred. When I create a mask to try and concentrate the effect to one area the rest of the image goes alpha on me!

So my solution as of now is to copy the footage that I'm placing the effect on, so that the same footage shows - without the blurred effect - where the alpha is created on the top image. It works, but not brilliantly, for some reasons. And I bet there's some simple solution to my problem :)

I'd appreciate any help!

/Martin

Return to posts index

Dave JohnsonRe: Masking effects in After Effects
by on Feb 11, 2010 at 3:34:25 pm

Use an adjustment layer ... make a solid, mask it, click it's adjustment layer switch in the timeline and apply the effect(s).

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Masking effects in After Effects
by on Feb 11, 2010 at 4:24:15 pm

[Martin H Eriksson] "When I create a mask to try and concentrate the effect to one area the rest of the image goes alpha on me! "

Well, that's what a mask does: it does not define the limits of something affecting the layer, it isolates a part of the layer itself.

The technique you used is just fine. The technique Dave Johnson describes is equally good. And when you use Dave's technique, do you know what you're doing to the adjustment layer? You're isolating a portion of it, because you're masking it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Martin H ErikssonRe: Masking effects in After Effects
by on Feb 11, 2010 at 7:21:51 pm

Thanks, both of you! I'll try it out immediatly!

/Martin

Martin H Eriksson

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]