ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

importing Premier Pro files to After Effects best practice

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alexis apfelbaum
importing Premier Pro files to After Effects best practice
on Feb 11, 2010 at 7:32:56 am

Hi Im a beginner...
Im chopping up a video in Premier Pro and dragging to seqencesin the PPro timeline. When select and copy and paste these into Af timeline it also brings with it the same entire source video every time I paste a clip into AF.As a result I have the same source video multiple times in the project folder Im worried about the space/memory issue and if I should instead be exporting each little clip as a movie instead and bringing this into AF. And if I did this is the quality then affected. I have a lot of clips to bring in and the memory/space may be an issue if I continue with sequences but exporting as movie may bring down quality...what's the usual practice? if you have any suggestions that'd be great.

all the best,

alexis

Return to posts index

Chris Buttacoli
Re: importing Premier Pro files to After Effects best practice
on Feb 11, 2010 at 5:12:48 pm

The way I like to work is to edit the sequence in PPro first, and then export only the exact portions that need work/fx done in AE. When using DV footage, I export using the MicrosoftDV codec from both apps, and there is no noticeable loss of quality.

Return to posts index

alexis apfelbaum
on Feb 12, 2010 at 12:50:07 am

Hi Chris and thanks,
just need some further clarification..So do you mean you dont copy and paste the sequence directly into After FX but export the asset as a movie via microsoft dv then take it into After FX...because ive been just taking the small clip I need to work on into AFX via copy and paste (not exporting as movie)and it places the clip in time line and entire source video in project every time I do this - so end up with billions of entire source videos in project area. So sounds like copy and paste is out and export each clip in Premier Pro and import into After effects to work on each is best way to go if I have to do this many times which I will as each 4 seconds of my dv movie has a different treatment.And also there will be no great loss of quality between two methods of working- Am I on the right track...? also wondering if quicktime is comparable in quality for the export.

cheers, alexis

Return to posts index

Chris Buttacoli
on Feb 12, 2010 at 3:11:55 am

Yes, exporting is the way I do it. Usually one shot at a time; but if my entire edit needs AE processing, I'd export the complete edit and chop it up in AE. And quicktime works great too, just make sure the settings are high quality. Some lossless codecs can create mega-enormous file sizes.

Also check into Dynamic-Linking (if you are using CS3 or CS4). It's probably a more efficient way to do what we're talking about here, but I'm more comfortable doing it old-school style. Good luck, Alexis.

Return to posts index

alexis apfelbaum
on Feb 24, 2010 at 8:15:36 am

Hi Chris,

thankyou - great advice. What is your best method for chopping it up in AE.

alexis

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]