ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Camera jolt effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
turner hallCamera jolt effect
by on Feb 11, 2010 at 4:41:39 am

I found this effect in a video game demo (Dirt2 on PS3) and recorded it (off the tv hence the flicker) hoping that someone could help me recreate it.

It is basically a simulated bit of distortion caused by camera shock/jolt. In this particular case, the camera is struck by a flipping truck (you'll see in the video). This causes, what seems to be, the different color channels to momentarily become distorted/unaligned. It only last a couple of frames so it is a subtle effect and hard to catch sometimes. The beauty of instant replay in a video games is the ability to slow everything down and see "high speed" footage of the events.

here is the video

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="//"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I am experienced in After Effects and Vegas Pro. I think it would be a good to use effect in a number of different run and gun type situations (camera gets dropped, somebody hits the camera, etc..) It it could have number of different looks to it as well (we've are seen ones use static in HBO's starting credits). I would prefer to learn how to do this sort of thing own my own rather than using some type of (paid) plug-in. It would also be nice to be able to create a preset so it would be easy to recreate.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Camera jolt effect
by on Feb 11, 2010 at 6:24:29 am

If I were trying to recreate this, I'd start with Directional Blur effect and Separate RGB.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

turner hallRe: Camera jolt effect
by on Feb 11, 2010 at 3:01:17 pm

Awesome, thank you. It works great.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved