ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

adding audio to video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Iona Scott
adding audio to video
on Feb 10, 2010 at 6:18:36 pm

hello please can anyone tell me how to put audio onto a video in after effects. I have made a new comp and put both files in it but no idea how to combine - help!!!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: adding audio to video
on Feb 10, 2010 at 6:30:18 pm

Is there a specific reason to use AE for this?

If not, why not simply do it in your editing application, which is much better suited for this kind of work?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Feb 10, 2010 at 6:49:25 pm

I agree with Dave that your NLE is a better application for this sort of work, but I'll also answer the question with regard to AFter Effects.

Audio and video footage items work pretty much the same way: You create layers in a composition, and the layers are based on these footage items. If you have an audio track as a separate file, you can align the layers in After Effects and then precompose them together so that you can use them as a unit.

But, again, After Effects is really best for motion graphics and compositing and visual effects---visual things. It's best to do your audio work and combining of audio and video in something like Premiere Pro.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Iona Scott
on Feb 10, 2010 at 11:53:50 pm

thanks for that. the reason is that I don't have editing software. I made the 3d Animation in 3dsmax and just want to literally put sound on. not even sure how to get to the layers but thanks for pointing me in the right direction as cannot find any straightforward instructions on how to do this.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 11, 2010 at 12:20:37 am

Hmmm.... sounds like you need some basic training in working with AE and thinking in AE. I have just the thing for you:

http://www.videocopilot.net/basic/

When it comes to the basics, it doesn't matter much which version of AE you have. The basics remain the same, the user interface looks different from version to version, but you can deal with that.

Okay, AE 1.0 is a different story. It was just plain weird.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Feb 11, 2010 at 12:23:50 am

I agree with Dave that the Video Copilot Basic Training series is a good way to get started. I list that and a few other resources in "Getting started with After Effects".

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Iona Scott
on Feb 11, 2010 at 3:19:43 pm

thanks very much. will give it a go!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]