ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Best way of doing 3D ocean surface

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will SnowBest way of doing 3D ocean surface
by on Feb 10, 2010 at 9:34:40 am

Hello

Just want to double check something quickly:

I'm currently using Trapfode Form to create a 3D ocean surface (by upping the particle numbers to create a gap-less surface, as it were).

This sound like the right way of doing things?

I know you can do very nice things with fractal noise, displacement layers and CC Glass, and that's all well and good for a nice rippling surface, but I want something a lot more stormy and turbulent.

Mesh Warp doesn't work, as the great thing with Form is that I can use the camera etc.

I also know about Psunami, but I don't want to use that.

I also know that upping the particle count in Form to get the gapless surface is a total render hog, but hey ho.

Just checking I'm not missing an even better plugin / way of doing things.

Thanks!

Will :)

(PS, if anyone remembers the awesome ocean sequences from Iron Giant or Belleville Rendezvous/Triplets of Belleville, that's how turbulent I'm going for)

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Best way of doing 3D ocean surface
by on Feb 10, 2010 at 2:14:24 pm

Considering the post subject, the "best" way is in a 3D program ... sorry, overstating the obvious, I know. I've made some very nice photo-realistic turbulent oceans using Psunami, have never tried it using Form and doubt very much any AE plugin exists that can do it any better than Psunami ... granted, it does take a bit of work if you don't want to use one of the very nice but done-to-death presets.

Return to posts index

Will SnowRe: Best way of doing 3D ocean surface
by on Feb 10, 2010 at 2:37:20 pm

Hi David

Thanks for the reply. Yyyeah, the nice thing about Form is that I can pre-comp some lovely watercolor textures (this is all for an animation) and use that as the surface, rather than the photorealism of Psunami.

Glad I checked though,

Cheers!

Will :)

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Best way of doing 3D ocean surface
by on Feb 10, 2010 at 3:40:57 pm

You can get some delightfully stylized looks out of Psunami, but from the sound of it, you might be better off with Form.

For the record though, Psunami is an absolutely wonderful plugin.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Eddy RoseRe: Best way of doing 3D ocean surface
by on Feb 10, 2010 at 8:12:51 pm

I'm a bog fan of form. If you can actually pull this off using it you have to post a link!

Return to posts index

Will SnowRe: Best way of doing 3D ocean surface
by on Feb 11, 2010 at 7:47:53 am

Yeah, but I'm struggling to find the time at the moment, so it'll be a very long while until it's all completed.

But it's not that hard a thing to do, it's just a total render hog. Have you seen "The Belleville Rendezvous" (also called "Triplets of Belleville"). They have an awesome ocean scene you can see here:

That can be done with Form, just using a pre-comped/rendered layer map of various fractal and painted layers for the surface ... right?

Not that complicated, just tough work for your system!

W:)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]