ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE to SWF export for web

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam ClarkAE to SWF export for web
by on Feb 10, 2010 at 7:12:08 am

I tried exporting a 45 second SWF (@ 15 fps) out of AE for use on the web. The end result was 6.5 Mb which is way too large and loads too slowly when tested in the website. So, I tried exporting as an un-compressed Quicktime (RGB+Alpha). I brought that into Sorenson Squeeze and converted to Progressive download 360p SWF, which knocked the file size down to 1.6 Mb and great quality. Outstanding!

The Problem? Well, now I have no alpha channel. This is an animated logo for use on a webpage, and it is essential that I maintain the alpha. Is there a way to decrease SWF file size while maintaining alpha channel?

(I have also tried bringing in an FLV from AE and squeezed that. Still, smaller file size but still no alpha channel.)

I have searched this forum as well as the Flash forum without any answers. Any ideas? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: AE to SWF export for web
by on Feb 11, 2010 at 6:43:58 am

> I have also tried bringing in an FLV from AE and squeezed that. Still, smaller file size but still no alpha channel.

If you're using FLV, make sure that you're using the On2 VP6 codec, not Sorenson Spark. On2 VP6 can encode an alpha channel. You have to select Encode Alpha Channel in the Video tab of the export settings dialog box. See "Render and export a composition as an FLV or F4V file".

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Adam ClarkRe: AE to SWF export for web
by on Feb 14, 2010 at 4:36:32 am

Yes, I made sure that I was encoding using "On2 VP6." Still, no luck. I have a grey box around my animation. The animation exports AE with the alpha. I made sure by bringing the exported FLV back into AE and filling a background layer and sure enough, alpha channel was working.

It is once I apply Sorenson Squeeze that I am loosing alpha. I used "F8 360p Progressive" with On2 VP6 selected. I even see that there is a check-box and slider where you can compress alpha data. Well, I tried both but still no luck. Is there something else I can try? Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved