ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

client monitor

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Sutterclient monitor
by on Feb 10, 2010 at 1:52:20 am

hello all. quick questions. i am putting together a part list/want list for our graphic artists at my place of business and there one request is an option for hooking up a broadcast monitor for after effects client view while the client is in-house. basically we have 2 gfx stations (1)pc and (1) mac both with standard decent video cards, they are using both of there dvi outputs for their cinema displays. what would be the best option for adding another monitor for client watching while the client is working with them? cheap, expensive, either way what are my options. thanks a bunch

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: client monitor
by on Feb 10, 2010 at 2:43:23 am

When your artist asks for a broadcast monitor, I think he or she is not asking for another computer monitor, but rather a real video monitor from Flanders Scientific, Panasonic, Sony, or the like. This will require a video card from a vendor like AJA or Blackmagic, and will allow more accurate judgment on color, exposure, and interlacing.

Here's some more information on previewing with an external video monitor.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: client monitor
by on Feb 10, 2010 at 6:37:45 am

I like the Panasonic BT-LH2600W monitor with the Kona LHe card. The Panny makes sense because I do a fair bit of DVCPROHD work.

Return to posts index

Bruce WainerRe: client monitor
by on Feb 10, 2010 at 2:44:22 am

Do you want another monitor in clone (duplicate) mode that show exactly what the user sees, or just a monitor that shows the preview window? For the former, I'd say any decent monitor with the same resolution as the monitors you already have should be fine. To hook it up, either get a splitter box that plugs into the computer in place of the current monitor, into which both displays connect (one input, two outputs - duplicating the display - ~$50 I think) or, if you have an extra display port, just plug the second monitor into the computer and tell the OS what to do. If the latter (just the preview/composition viewer), you can set up both Premiere and After Effects to send video out through Fire-wire. At my school we use a Sony DV tape deck (~$1000 a couple of years ago) as a Fire-wire device and take the TV out and plug it into a standard TV screen. This is, of course, a low-end SD-only solution, but the preview window in either After Effects or Premiere isn't that high quality unless the time line is rendered (PP) or pre-rendered (AE). For a client watching the editor/compositor working, it won't usually be that High Quality. If you do want HD output from Premiere Pro or After Effects, you'd need a card of device meant for this, at which point I will bow out and let someone more experienced than I am take over.

Bruce Wainer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved