ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Video -skipping frames effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kasper NymanVideo -skipping frames effect
by on Feb 9, 2010 at 9:04:51 pm

Hello world of after effects yoda's..
I have stumbled over an effect in some video, mostly music and fashion videos. And was wondering how they did it, properly an easy thing, but my knowlegde in After Effects is to poor to figure it out, hope someone can help me!

The effects is that a video is skipping frames, to the "story" is told in stills, but still looking animated if you understand, but have found a link where the effect is used (just watch the intro, with the bike):

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Video -skipping frames effect
by on Feb 9, 2010 at 9:10:18 pm

As far as I can tell, it was just shot with a DSLR taking bursts of stills. Then the stills were cut together in just about any editing application that can turn something B&W. Not especially difficult.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Video -skipping frames effect
by on Feb 9, 2010 at 9:19:54 pm

i'm with dave.. it was probably shot with a still camera. parts of it used the motor-drive or sequential shooting setting (where the still camera is shooting about 2-3 frames per second).

you can use tools in after effects to treat video this way. the posterize time effect can create a motor-drive-like effect, try setting it to 2-3 frames per second.

you can also use time remapping (layer>time>enable time remapping) and key frame it with hold keyframes to create 'freeze frames' or motor-drive like effect where you can pick the specific frames you want, rather than x number of frames per second...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Video -skipping frames effect
by on Feb 9, 2010 at 9:23:47 pm

Or, if you're starting with with video footage, you can accomplish the same by just skipping a bunch of frames. Sorry for overstating the obvious, but it really is that simple.

Return to posts index

Kasper NymanRe: Video -skipping frames effect
by on Feb 9, 2010 at 9:32:30 pm

Thank you all, that was what I needed to know.

Return to posts index

Post removed.

Bob RootRe: Video -skipping frames effect
by on Feb 10, 2010 at 1:36:09 pm

Hi Kasper

You can use the Posterize Time effect to achieve a similar result with video. It's also keyframable, so you can mix up the rates a bit.

Return to posts index

reynoir lewisRe: Video -skipping frames effect
by on Aug 28, 2011 at 6:49:16 pm

Hello everyone i know i'm a little tardy to the party on this forum...what i need help understanding is once you remove your set of frames how do you connect them together without frame blending or motion blur? would i need to shoot at 60fps so once footage is cut down its actually back to 30fps?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved