ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE pre render import error

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adrian Graham-SmithAE pre render import error
by on Feb 8, 2010 at 11:16:40 am

I've got an HD project containing a precomped canvas of 7000x4000px on an alpha channel. As it's colour corrected, it's obviously chewing up a lot of processor power in previews.

So I want to prerender it, and have done composition>Pre-render. I'm keeping the settings as standard from AE, but once it's rendered out, I'm getting the error "'Dubai' cannot be imported - this 'MooV' fle is damaged or unsupported".

Can anyone explain why this might be? It opens fine in QuickTime and FCP (albeit slowly due to its size), and the file extension in Finder is definitely not '.MooV'

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE pre render import error
by on Feb 8, 2010 at 3:38:03 pm

I'll bet your footage is NOT nice, benign HD footage but rather evil HDV footage, which is pretty much toxic in AE. You have to convert it to something else before you can use it successfuly in AE.

Search for Dave's Stock Answer #1 for a detailed answer.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Adrian Graham-SmithRe: AE pre render import error
by on Feb 8, 2010 at 4:27:10 pm

Thanks Dave,

I had come across your Stock Answer #1, and hadn't thought it through too much... Then I realised I'm using XDCAM HD & EX, which I think are based on mpeg-2?

Strangely I don't have these sorts of problems when re-importing HD renders of the final project, only the very big canvas with alpha channel...

In any case that makes a good deal more sense now. Thanks for your help. Unfortunately since I have vast amounts of archive footage to deal with, re-compressing it all isn't an option this time round, but it's helpful for future reference. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: AE pre render import error
by on Feb 9, 2010 at 6:29:17 am

I'm not sure where the threshold is, but when working with large frame sizes, sometimes AE writes animation codec movies it can't read.

Try rendering to an image sequence instead - PSD, PNG, TIFF, and TGA all support transparency.

Other big benefits of image sequences include the ability to re-render only a portion of an animation if you make changes; the ability to easily resume failed renders, and cross-platform portability.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved