ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE CS4 system requirements?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rinat RekhimkulovAE CS4 system requirements?
by on Feb 8, 2010 at 8:25:51 am

Hello everyone. I'm new here and newbie in motion graphics (well educated in vector and rastre)

When I work in CS4 I've s strong feeling that it doesnt work properly on my machine. Here are the specs:

- 2x Intel Xeon, 3400 MHz (4 cores)
- 3GB of DDR2 Sdram (though 4GB installed)
- ATI Radeon 2900 HD Pro 512 MB
- 3 HDDs (100 GB, 300GB, 1TB)

The in-workspace preview if my projects is often so slowly updated that i've difficulties just moving 3d layer around. I've problems previewing my work via moving the slider within timeline: computer views the start and the middle and then the end position of my time slider, so 3 frames in general is what i see. I cannot comfortably work even little-complex projects with all those 3d layers and effects applied to them.

The thing is, that if I run CTRL-ALT-DEL and see the CPU load while moving layers in projects — CPU is less than 30% and ONLY ONE core is busy.

I've searched forum about tweaking AE, but I'm at a loss. Plz try to assume what might cause the problem.

Thank you in advance.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: AE CS4 system requirements?
by on Feb 8, 2010 at 2:29:40 pm

Are you working with HD footage? Is it .M2T, .H264, or .MPEG files? I've had problems with AE being unreasonably slow with that type of footage, Dave LaRonde explains why:
Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.
On another note, to work well in After Effects, you really need a lot more RAM. Do you have multi-processing turned on? Don't. If you want to take advantage of all the power available you need AT LEAST 2 gigs of RAM per core. Todd explains more about it here.
Here's a useful entry on getting better performance out of AE.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Logan PhamRe: AE CS4 system requirements?
by on Oct 22, 2010 at 12:38:54 pm

Does this laptop meet the requirements?...HP Pavilion DV7-1133CL 17.0-Inch Laptop (2 GHz AMD Turion X2 RM-70 Dual-Core Processor, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB Hard Drive,DVD Drive, Vista Premium 64 Bit)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved