ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Someone to convert {AE_CS4} to {AE_CS3}

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Rotter
Someone to convert {AE_CS4} to {AE_CS3}
on Feb 7, 2010 at 7:38:05 pm

I'm looking for someone who has After Effects CS4 & After Effects CS3 and could load a simple After Effects CS4 project and convert it to After Effects CS3 then save the file in After Effects CS3 ?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Someone to convert {AE_CS4} to {AE_CS3}
on Feb 7, 2010 at 8:20:46 pm

I don't have CS3, but I figured I should mention that you can't save an AE file into an older format. There will be no converting of the file; the person would have to recreate it by hand.
Now, if it's a simple project there has been some talk of a way to hack the file and edit a a simple text file and make it openable, but I have never tried it. Here's a link to a thread that discusses it.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Christopher Rotter
on Feb 7, 2010 at 8:54:05 pm

That was an original thread, I had started not too long ago.

I tried that method and I was unable to get it to work. Which is why I'm asking if anyone has both versions I could send the file they could do the changes in CS3 (it probably wouldn't take long at all) then save it and send it to me in CS3 format.

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Feb 7, 2010 at 10:05:54 pm

You can't open a CS4 project in CS3.

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Feb 7, 2010 at 10:08:18 pm

I guess when you say "convert" you mean rebuild from scratch, right?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 7, 2010 at 10:19:18 pm

I've not tried it (because I don't have CS3), but would it be possible to copy and paste the layers between the versions?

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Christopher Rotter
on Feb 7, 2010 at 10:45:45 pm

Yes, rebuild from scratch. If someone has both CS3 and CS4 then the conversion would be easy.

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Feb 7, 2010 at 10:54:48 pm

I have access to both. Email me at joey848@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Christopher Rotter
on Feb 8, 2010 at 1:04:25 am

Excellent, Thank you. I hope we can convert it :)

Return to posts index

Tom Masters
on Feb 8, 2010 at 5:57:42 am

a great new feature request. I am sure it woul dbe difficult, but you can do this in Illustrator.

I am finding that many studios are not upgrading as much as they used to, maybe because Adobe is not adding crucial features, maybe economy, but either way, it makes handing off work cumbersome.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 8, 2010 at 6:41:52 am

You can do it in Illustrator, you can do it in Photoshop, (heck, you can do it in Word), but you can't do it in After Effects. Never have been able to, probably never will.
It's been requested as a feature more than once, I'm sure. I'm also sure that they would do it if they could, but I suspect that the complexity of the program makes it so that it's just never going to happen.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Howard Zryb
on Feb 8, 2010 at 9:42:11 pm

I am guessing that since the new features available in CS4 are not compatible with CS3, you can't open a CS4 project in CS3.

What would be nice, however, is that a project would be able to open, and would give you placeholders or warnings about missing features or effects used. This way, if there is nothing CS4ish in your project, it could open in CS3 and work correctly.

I know that filters behave this way; you'll get a proxy with the missing filter info.

It's forcing me to shell out another 2 grand to upgrade, even though there are no must have features for me in the Photoshop, Illustrator or After Effects upgrades. Some nice twesks, yes, but nothing that I can't live without.

WHITE ROOM PRODUCTIONS, INC.
Broadcast Design and Animation
(516) 546 2098

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Feb 9, 2010 at 5:35:22 am

> It's been requested as a feature more than once, I'm sure. I'm also sure that they would do it if they could, but I suspect that the complexity of the program makes it so that it's just never going to happen.

Never say never. The number of votes/instances for each request does influence the decision.

Here's a link to the feature-request form.

It's a hard feature. Be sure to say in your feature request which parts of a project you would require to be converted and which parts are less important to you.

Don't bother telling me. The feature-request form really is the best way.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Feb 10, 2010 at 3:56:30 am

Christopher, I tried to send the project back to you, but my email was returned. Is something wrong with your account?

Return to posts index

Christopher Rotter
on Feb 10, 2010 at 5:09:13 pm

The file has been converted and it did work out. I have contact you via email regarding it :)

Thank You !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]