ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

RAM Preview Cursor Freeze

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dale PaquetteRAM Preview Cursor Freeze
by on Feb 7, 2010 at 12:32:42 pm

Read some posts on freezing but not sure my problem is the same. What happens is this: I do some work in a comp and then hit the numeric 0 for a RAM preview. The rendering process proceeds as it should, one frame at a time (render multiple frames simultaneously is off, open GL is enabled) right till the end of the work area. At this point, the entire system freezes up - the cursor is non-responsive. After maybe 10 seconds, the cursor begins to jump around the screen all by itself and eventually stops. Only then does the RAM preview play out - perfectly I might add. Any ideas how to overcome this? Thanks
BTW, I'm XP, CS3, drivers up to date, disk cache on separate internal drive (not C).

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: RAM Preview Cursor Freeze
by on Feb 7, 2010 at 7:04:05 pm

I've never experienced what you described, but the first thing I'd try is turning off OpenGL. If you search the forum you'll find lots of info about AE and OpenGL.

Return to posts index

Dale PaquetteRe: RAM Preview Cursor Freeze
by on Feb 7, 2010 at 7:50:50 pm

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I'll check out Open GL in the forum as well. Dale

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: RAM Preview Cursor Freeze
by on Feb 8, 2010 at 3:07:08 pm

There are a couple of other things you'll want to check, too.

If you have 4GB or less on your machine, you can't use multiprocessing, so turn it off. It won't do you any good.

RAM Previewing interframe-compressed footage usually isn't an issue with AE, but hey: you never know about that stuff, and you shouldn't be using it in AE in the first place. It just isn't prudent. So you might want to consider converting any interframe-compressed footage to a codec with intraframe compression.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dale PaquetteRe: RAM Preview Cursor Freeze
by on Feb 9, 2010 at 1:29:54 pm

Thanks all. I did end up turning off multi-processing as well as the other suggestions. Don't know if they worked BECAUSE, in the interim I ran a defrag and a registry clean and the problem went away!! I had been suspecting a data flow bottleneck somewhere and one or more of these tips broke it. Dale

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved