ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Need to upgrade early Mac Pro 7300GT graphics card.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret WilliamsNeed to upgrade early Mac Pro 7300GT graphics card.
by on Feb 6, 2010 at 9:26:15 pm

Need to upgrade my 7300GT in original MacPro Jan 2007. Ideas? 4870 flashed for Mac? Is there something less than $200 that will give a significant performance coost to AE cs4 with 7 gigs of RAM?

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Need to upgrade early Mac Pro 7300GT graphics card.
by on Feb 7, 2010 at 7:01:09 pm

Search the forum and you'll find many posts about AE and graphics cards ... the gist is graphics cards don't make much difference for AE so its best to base your choice on the other programs you run (as long as its still on Adobe's compatible list).

Return to posts index

Bret WilliamsRe: Need to upgrade early Mac Pro 7300GT graphics card.
by on Feb 7, 2010 at 7:48:56 pm

Yeah, it looks that way after some further research. However, it does look like CS4 is better with OpenGL, and since I\'m running 2 lcds off 1 card, just another cheap card might be a decent upgrade. But I\'ve got 2 ram slots open and 200 bucks could buy another 4 gigs of RAM.

Using 6 gigs dedicated to rendering did boost my non-multiprocessed 10 hour render to 7.5 hours with the multiprocessing on recently. But either way, it was overnight. I really was looking for a better card just for working in the timeline. Scrubbing around and such. I\'m demoing continuum complete and any change to any parameter in the eps extrusion filter just takes forever.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Need to upgrade early Mac Pro 7300GT graphics card.
by on Feb 8, 2010 at 3:54:37 pm

[Bret Williams] "...it does look like CS4 is better with OpenGL..."

Wrong. At least in AE-land. Don't use Open GL to help AE render. It almost always does more harm than good, and my contribute to your long render times.

Now, if you use Adobe applications other than AE, a hot graphics card might be just the ticket. Go to the Adobe web site and look up information about the mercury playback engine in Premiere, and how it works with Nvidia cards.

No, this mercury gizmo isn't available in the current version of Creative Suite, but how much longer do you think Adobe's going to wait to realease it?

Oh,and good luck finding the Premiere performance information. In my opinion, the Adobe web site is one of the more Byzantine of mankind's creations.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]