ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

pulsating monitor

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chandler Kauffman
pulsating monitor
on Feb 6, 2010 at 7:08:58 pm

Did a two camera shoot where my B camera was on an LCD screen the whole time shooting 25P for a European client. Neither I nor the B camera op noticed on the JVC 100's crappy screen that the monitor was pulsing, no roll bar or other interference just a slow steady dimming up and down.
The only thing that crosses the frame is the slate at the head of the scene, but the image on the screen does change. I tried using Color Stabalizer which I read about in another forum, using a dark speaker to the left of the screen as my black and then the lightest part of the screen that doesn't change as my white.
Results weren't great, all sorts of weird color spikes and the QT I output won't playback.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Sony EX1
Canon 5d mark 2
FCP 6.06

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
Re: pulsating monitor
on Feb 6, 2010 at 7:17:05 pm

Why not just cut out the screen and replace it with something?

Return to posts index

Chandler Kauffman
on Feb 6, 2010 at 7:19:24 pm

Can't, need the content

Sony EX1
Canon 5d mark 2
FCP 6.06

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Feb 6, 2010 at 7:27:52 pm

No way to get it from somewhere else? Is it copyrighted? Was it being played from a disc? Nobody has access to it anymore?

Poor planning=poor results.

You might have to keyframe the levels manually, frame by frame. Ouch.

Return to posts index

Chandler Kauffman
on Feb 6, 2010 at 7:30:49 pm

Thanks for the dig but it wasn't poor planning it was a piece of crap monitor on a camera that belonged to the client. If you can't address the technical question I'm asking please stop posting

Sony EX1
Canon 5d mark 2
FCP 6.06

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Feb 6, 2010 at 8:52:45 pm

This may not be possible for your needs, but in similar situations when there were no alternatives I've turned a severe footage problem into a project-making plus by designing around the poor footage. In other words, by making the imperfections of the footage look intentional ... shrink it down a little and put it inside of a monitor 3D model or some other type of frame, bleach-bypass it, add film grain, minor dust & scratches, some film sprocket jitter, etc. ... whatever works for the project.

If you can't do anything along those lines, you could try Shadow/Highlight with temporal filtering so it adjusts as the image changes ... I wouldn't expect great results, but it might help some in combination with other adjustments. For example, the changes will probably be most noticeable in the blacks so you might try using the Levels plugin to crush the blacks some. Anything is probably worth trying before keyframing.

The QT not playing back sounds like a separate issue ... probably codec related. Can your provide more details?

Return to posts index

Chandler Kauffman
on Feb 6, 2010 at 10:03:54 pm

Thanks David, I wish I could do something like that to dress up the footage but it's not that kind of project. As far as the output, I just checked and somehow the file is now Animation, went from 6Gb file to 176GB! No wonder I can't play it.
How do I change that?

Sony EX1
Canon 5d mark 2
FCP 6.06

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Feb 6, 2010 at 10:23:47 pm

In the Render Queue's Output Module you can change both the video and audio codecs, as well specific settings for each and other important settings. However, Animation is one of the best intermediary codecs to use since its lossless so whether it's a good idea to change it depends on your workflow and needs.

For example, if you're taking the AE render into an NLE for further editing or compositing, it's best to use a lossless video codec. Even if you're final delivery is web video only, its best to render from AE with a lossless codec and use separate compression/conversion software to generate a web file from that.

Of course, there are all sorts of variations and exceptions to that basic workflow description. For example, if the source footage is DV (rather than uncompressed), it's fine to render back to DV since using a better codec than the source can't add image quality that wasn't there to begin with so it only serves to increase file size.

By the way, if your computer can't play an Animation or uncompressed coded video file flawlessly, that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the file ... many computers can't play uncompressed video without help from hardware and/or software that's more robust than a simple media player so just bring it into your NLE and you'll see that its just fine.

Return to posts index

Jim Dodson
on Feb 7, 2010 at 2:32:45 am

You might want to try again with color stabilizer -- i've used it successfully for this very dilemma. I'm pretty sure you want to click the blacks onto a black within the flickering area (not outside it) -- you can also try giving the effect a guide frame by parking on a good frame and clicking on the words "set-frame"... also you might have to keyframe/animate the white/mid/black points to chase the representative color(s) around.... Those FLASHES of color tell me that your representative points are not themselves stable throughout the shot.... And of course, the rest of the frame (outside the monitor) will also get affected and will look all messed up so you'll have to mask out everything but the monitor area -- also might experiment with just "brightness" (only one reference level to deal with) or levels (2 reference points)...

Jim Dodson

8 Core Intel -- Mac - OSX

Return to posts index

Chandler Kauffman
on Feb 12, 2010 at 4:17:13 pm

Color Stabilizer didn't work for this for some reason, maybe because thee were no true whites on the screen? Anyway, I wound up just masking the monitor screen and applying Auto Levels which worked pretty damn well, smoothed out the pulsating nicely. Problem now is the Quicktime I output from AE, which is the same codec etc as the original footage, crashes FCP when I put it in the sequence and barely plays in QTPro.....

Sony EX1
Canon 5d mark 2
FCP 6.06

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]