ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Flash or AE animation export to SWF?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony WesterfieldFlash or AE animation export to SWF?
by on Feb 6, 2010 at 6:54:51 pm

OK, this may have been answered a hundred times before, but I have not found what Im looking for it in the threads or articles. I am creating a logo animation in Flash, but prefer animating in AE. The resulting AE SWF exported file is not as good as the SWF from Flash (ie, appears rasterized, especially if I scale up the Flash player window). Also, if I "rasterize unsupported features" from within AE, the file size grows very large.

My questions: if I want a true vector animation, do I need to build it in Flash? Is there anyway to animate in AE and export those settings into Flash? Plugin perhaps?

-- Tony

Tony W

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: Flash or AE animation export to SWF?
by on Feb 6, 2010 at 7:15:43 pm

Well, there are all sorts of vector art creation tools in AE. And when you Render to Flash, it goes through an implementation of the Adobe Media Encoder.

From the manual:

While rendering and exporting a movie to a SWF file, After Effects maintains vector graphics as vector objects as much as possible. However, raster images, blending modes, motion blur, some effects, and the contents of nested compositions cannot be represented as vectors in the SWF file and are rasterized.

You can choose to ignore these unsupported items so that the SWF file includes only the After Effects features that can be converted into native SWF elements, or you can choose to rasterize frames that contain unsupported features and add them to the SWF file as JPEG-compressed bitmap images, which may reduce the efficiency of the SWF file.

So see what you can get away with in AE. If it's just text you oughta be golden.

Return to posts index

Bret WilliamsRe: Flash or AE animation export to SWF?
by on Feb 6, 2010 at 9:30:47 pm

Use parenting as much as possible instead of nested comps. And is 3D supported? Didn't use to be. Basically you want to simplify the heck out of it, but in my experience, it's still going to be much larger. What may be 10k from flash, miht be 100k from AE. It doesn't retain sprites and multiple uses so well. Nut it's been years since Ive tried it.

Return to posts index

Tony WesterfieldRe: Flash or AE animation export to SWF?
by on Feb 8, 2010 at 2:39:10 pm

Yep. There are some nice features like exporting as an XFL, but for the most part, SWF export is limited.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103a4f...

File size will always be smaller out of Flash, but I suppose it comes down to what my client wants: Small, fast loading web vector SWF's or slightly longer loading FLV's with video footage and bitmap graphics.

-- Tony

Tony W

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]