ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE supers look bad in ProRes422 timeline

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry Sneede
AE supers look bad in ProRes422 timeline
on Feb 5, 2010 at 10:49:14 pm

When exporting supers in AE in the Animation codec with alpha, they look great in an Uncompressed FCP timeline, but jaggedy in a ProRess timeline. I've also tried PNG with alpha with the same outcome. Anyone know how to get around this?

- js

Return to posts index

Tim Vaughan
Re: AE supers look bad in ProRes422 timeline
on Feb 5, 2010 at 10:55:44 pm

Yeah, make sure your window viewer is at 50% or 100%. If in "scale to fit" mode, it will look jaggedy. Problem is NOT with lossless + alpha or Prorez. Use it all the time (Also try ProRez 444 with Alpha to coincide with the prorez footage/timeline. File sizes are much smaller, but look fantastic)

Tim

Return to posts index

Jerry Sneede
on Feb 5, 2010 at 10:56:31 pm

Tim,

Yes, the window size was not an issue. I had both windows at 100%.

Return to posts index

Jerry Sneede
on Feb 5, 2010 at 10:57:48 pm

Tim,

Also, the problem persisted in the quicktime output also. I just don't know what the difference between the two timelines is. They are the same size (1920x1080), same framerate, same codec.

Return to posts index

Jerry Sneede
on Feb 5, 2010 at 10:55:51 pm

Ok, this is strange. It seems that sometimes the supers look bad, and sometimes they don't. I made a new timeline, also ProRes, and copied everything from the original ProRes timeline to it, and the supers from AE were perfectly sharp. Strange.

Return to posts index

Jerry Sneede
on Feb 5, 2010 at 11:02:08 pm

Tim,

I'm not seeing the ProRes444 option in my AE. Where can I find this?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 5, 2010 at 11:06:37 pm

You have to have the latest version of Final Cut Suite installed on the same machine you use for AE work. Otherwise, you don't have it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 5, 2010 at 11:00:43 pm

Would field order be a concern? Perhaps you rendered (don't export!) out of AE in the wrong field order? Should you have rendered with no fields because it's going over progressive-scan video?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jerry Sneede
on Feb 5, 2010 at 11:10:22 pm

Dave,

It's not a field thing. The fact that it looks good in one timeline and not another identical one is the strange thing.

Also, I figured out that ProRes444 comes with stuido 3, it's not in 2. Another good reason for us to upgrade here.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 5, 2010 at 11:12:59 pm

[Jerry Sneede] "The fact that it looks good in one timeline and not another identical one is the strange thing. "

Well, that ought to be a clue right there. Scrutinize the differences between the two sets of footage in each timeline, and each timeline's settings. I bet something turns up.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jerry Sneede
on Feb 5, 2010 at 11:18:15 pm

Dave,

Yup, it turns out the bad timeline had a field dominance of none, the good one of Upper. I'm not sure how I ended up editing in a timeline with no field dominance, I suspect it came from dropping in some footage and saying Yes to making the timeline change to match that footage.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]