ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Multiprocessing?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles FerranMultiprocessing?
by on Feb 5, 2010 at 4:34:38 pm

happy day! I have just been upgraded from 2GB of RAM, to 11 amazing wonderful glorious GB's of RAM. Now I'm wondering how I can utilize this new power. When I start up AE it says I am using 4% of 3 total GB's of RAM, how do I get AE to see I have 11? how should I set the memory settings in AE? as always, thanks!

Charles Ferran
845-699-5270
http://www.charlesferran.com

"Far better is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with the poor spirits who neither enjoy much, nor suffer much because they live in a gray twilight that knows no victory or defeat."

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Multiprocessing?
by on Feb 5, 2010 at 4:38:34 pm

It's a darned good thing we've got Todd Kopriva on our side. Read this CAREFULLY. No skimming allowed:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2009/12/performance-tip-dont-starve-yo.h...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Charles FerranRe: Multiprocessing?
by on Feb 5, 2010 at 5:11:44 pm

read through it, even clicked the links ;) but here at work we're on CS3 not CS4 and the differences in how AE deals with memory in this version seem to be vast. the Adobe doc says to adjust the maximum memory usage, but its showing 3GB's even though there's 11 in there! what gives?

Charles Ferran
845-699-5270

"Far better is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with the poor spirits who neither enjoy much, nor suffer much because they live in a gray twilight that knows no victory or defeat."

Return to posts index

by on Feb 5, 2010 at 5:28:57 pm

I've found it in a hundred different places, have some reading to do, getting scared though, just got these people to upgrade me and now worried it was for nothing O_O

Charles Ferran
845-699-5270

Return to posts index

Adriano MoraesRe: Multiprocessing?
by on Feb 5, 2010 at 6:11:26 pm

Can you tell us about your machine specs and OS?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Multiprocessing?
by on Feb 5, 2010 at 6:15:38 pm

There are instructions and additional information about using Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing in After Effects CS3 here:
"Render multiple frames simultaneously"

The controls for CS3 are a bit more... obtuse than in CS4. Making these easier to use and understand in CS4 was a pretty major improvement. But the controls are still there.

BTW, disregard that text on the splash screen that says "4% of 3GB used", or whatever. That's just telling you how much the foreground application is using at startup. That's not useful information. With 11GB of RAM, you can feed four or so background processes to use Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Walter SoykaRe: Multiprocessing?
by on Feb 5, 2010 at 6:14:16 pm

No one instance of AE will see the whole 11 GB of RAM. AE is currently a 32-bit application, so it can can only "see" up to 4 GB. On the Mac, this is further limited to 3 or 3.5 GB for the main instance (I believe it reserves memory for toolkits and the GUI).

Multiprocessing works around this by limitation by launching multiple instances of the AE renderer at the same time, each of which can grab its own 4 GB, so all the RAM in your system can be used. Each instance works on its own frame and requires its own RAM to work efficiently; this is why we encouraged you to get more RAM, and this is what allows you to render multiple frames simultaneously.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Feb 5, 2010 at 7:01:27 pm

ok, its clearer now, can't wait for CS5!!! :) the thing that has me scared is, the project I started asking questions about, the 3D one, I tried to render it again with multiprocessing turned on, and it just froze up, a frame every 15 minutes again...

Charles Ferran
845-699-5270

Return to posts index

by on Feb 5, 2010 at 9:23:57 pm

[Charles Ferran] "the thing that has me scared is, the project I started asking questions about, the 3D one, I tried to render it again with multiprocessing turned on, and it just froze up, a frame every 15 minutes again..."

This 3D project of yours is a monster, isn't it?

Have you tweaked the settings under Preferences > Memory & Cache?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Feb 8, 2010 at 2:30:29 pm

yes it is a monster, I have maximum memory usage set to 150% of 3GB's
Maximum RAM Cache size 100% = 3GB's
and maximum disk cache size is 5000 MB

what I did see improvement on, and this is interesting, is when I did a render without the FX turned on, the buildings problems for the most part went away. The flickering sides that I was dealing with, they're pretty much gone! so that must have been a memory issue? strange...

Charles Ferran
845-699-5270

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
by on Feb 8, 2010 at 7:58:08 pm

[Charles Ferran] "Maximum RAM Cache size 100% = 3GB's "

I think your maximum RAM cache is set way too high. The default is 60%, and Adobe doesn't recommend going over 90%.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Feb 8, 2010 at 8:08:40 pm

changed, thanks Walter.

Charles Ferran
845-699-5270

Return to posts index

Sean WorsellRe: Multiprocessing?
by on Mar 7, 2010 at 1:56:43 am

Does this mean that if you only have 8 GB of RAM that there is no point running more than 2 instances of AE? In fact, is there a problem running two even, since they'd together be accessing all 8GB RAM leaving no RAM left for the operating system?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Multiprocessing?
by on Mar 7, 2010 at 2:26:25 am

Sean, your question is answered in the article on my blog that Dave LaRonde pointed to in his post on this thread.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]