ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Final Cut to After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David KennyFinal Cut to After Effects
by on Feb 5, 2010 at 3:38:53 pm

Sorry if this is in wrong place but its either way. I saw the recent tutorial on Boris XML Transfer and immediately thought that is exactly what I need. Problem is my after effects is windows based whilst final cut is based on separate machines, therefore my problem is there a way to send final cut sequences onto my windows based after effects. I fear the big no as I have googled, stumbled the lot.

Thanks
David

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Final Cut to After Effects
by on Feb 5, 2010 at 4:12:24 pm

[David Kenny] "I saw the recent tutorial on Boris XML Transfer and immediately thought that is exactly what I need. Problem is my after effects is windows based whilst final cut is based on separate machines, therefore my problem is there a way to send final cut sequences onto my windows based after effects"

That's a problem all right, and not one easily solved.

Any of the software that converts FCP edit timelines into AE comps creates pointers to the original media files in your Capture Scratch. Since you're going from one machine -- and one operating system -- to another, those pointers won't point to the EXACT SAME LOCATIONS, even if you painstakingly create the same file path and copy all the media to your windows box. Consequently, you wouldn't see any of your media.

Unless there's something I'm missing, and it wouldn't be the first time, your only recourse is to export your entire FCP edit timeline as a quicktime movie. The usual admonitions about QT codecs on Windows machines apply.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bartek SkorupaRe: Final Cut to After Effects
by on Feb 6, 2010 at 2:57:02 pm

If you want to take the project from one machine to another one - you will anyway have to copy all the media.
So: If you have After Effects on Mac, just import your project to AE on Mac(there are several ways to do it), Collect Files and copy the whole folder.

If you don't have AE on Mac - well... The only problem will be: missing files. Ctl-H - and problem solved.

Bartek Skorupa
Warszawa, Poland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]