ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Is there an HDYC codec for AE?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg GelberIs there an HDYC codec for AE?
by on Feb 4, 2010 at 6:18:09 pm

I have some Nikon D90 footage (720 24p) I am trying to bring into After Effects and it only produces 100's of vertical colored lines. I can successfully import it into my Avid Symphony Nitris which is on the same PC but there is some compression going on and I'd like to see if AE can do any better. Do I need the HDYC codec to see the video in AE? Where can I get it?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Is there an HDYC codec for AE?
by on Feb 4, 2010 at 7:01:29 pm

Have you checked the Nikon web site yet? Seems like the proper place to start to me....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Is there an HDYC codec for AE?
by on Feb 4, 2010 at 7:06:58 pm

I agree with Dave; the Nikon people should be able to help you out with that.

There's a forum here on the COW that you might look into, in case you haven't seen it yet. It's the new DSLR video forum.

Also, I'm not sure what format the Nikon shoots in, but keep this advice from Dave in mind:
Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved