ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Adding depth ONLY to particles

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam HendersonAdding depth ONLY to particles
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 9:43:02 pm

I have a camera set up in a comp that is looking down at the ground, birds eye view style.

On the ground is some text and a TV screen behind it.

Falling from the sky (above and all around the camera) are particles, using Particular 2.

The camera slowly moves down through the particles until it is on the ground now facing the text and TV straight on.

How do I only give the particles depth, where the ones falling right in front of the camera a blurry and the one falling by where my focal point is aren't blurry.

I don't want the TV behind the text to get blurry in this process, I only want to add depth to the particles.

I've tried messing with the aperture on the camera and it doesn't work. It ends up making only the text in focus and not really affecting the particles.

I've also tried the depth of field effect and it's not getting the results I want.

Any suggestions????

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Adding depth ONLY to particles
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 10:41:35 pm

so you have a camera object and you have depth of field enabled for it (in the camera properties) with a focal distance of approximately the distance between the camera and the text/tv layers.

did you set particular's render mode to 'full render + dof'? and does you particle system fill the same 3d volume that your scene has... ie, do the particles reach the floor?

if so you should see some blurring. try increasing the cameras aperture or blur level.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved