ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

quicktime question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maxime Marquisquicktime question
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 5:52:08 pm

Hi,

I use DVCPRO HD footage in AE. I usually render out (for use in FCP) using the DVCPRO HD 60p compression. I'v been told it's better to render out using the animation settings and then compress to DVCPRO HD in quicktime player. The thing is, when I export from animation to DVCPRO HD in quicktime player, I can't change the quality setting which is set to medium. Is there a way to change this? If not, is it still better to export from quicktime player at medium quality than rendering directly from AE using DVCPRO HD?

I tried both ways and I don't see enough change in quality to justify that extra step.

I curious to know your workflow and what you think about this one. Thanks guys.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: quicktime question
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 5:59:24 pm

Don't worry about it. I export to Quicktime's PNG codec occasionally, and the same thing happens. The PNG movies are still lossless.

Now, if you have an extra $500 lying around, you could get Automatic Duck, and not worry about it, because The Duck looks at the video files in your Capture Scratch.

On a budget? Don't care about preserving any effects or transitions you've carefully crafted in FCP? Look at the free FCP2AE script from Popcorn Island. It too shows you the media in Capture Scratch.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Maxime MarquisRe: quicktime question
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 10:54:21 pm

Thanks Dave,

I'll take a look at FCP2AE. Just to make sure, when you say don't worry about it, do you mean don't worry about rendering first to animation (and then exporting with dvcpro hd codec in QT) or, don't worry, just render out of AE directly in dvcpro hd.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: quicktime question
by on Feb 4, 2010 at 1:01:23 am

I guess what I meant was, "As long as you can see the original media in capture scratch, there isn't much of a reason to render in AE using the Animation codec, and then render in Quicktime to DVCProHD".

Now, this whole FCP2AE deal rides on leaving your original media WHERE IT IS in capture scratch. If you move it to a different drive or folder, you're sunk. If that would be a problem -- as it might be on an archived project restored to your system -- I recommend exporting in FCP in Animation, doing your AE voodoo and rendering inDVCProHD right out of AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]