ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Multiple invigorator layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Liam Stirland
Multiple invigorator layers
on Feb 3, 2010 at 11:14:55 am

I am using invigorator to create an opening box with objects flying out once opened. I have used one instance of invigorator to create a cube without a top, added a thin primative as the lid and 1 main objet jumping out of the box then animated a camera around the box in ae.
the problem i have is i need 10+ objects to fly out of the box once opened, and with only 8 sets i tried to do 8 in one and 2 in another.
The problem is that the new instances of invigorator are appearing behind the open lid which ruins the illusion, i tried re arranging the layers in after effects but you can see the shapes infront of the box which doesnt work too. All are using the comp camera, how come multiple instances of invigorator (using the Comp Cam) do not interact?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Multiple invigorator layers
on Feb 3, 2010 at 2:17:02 pm

They can't interact because they are different instances. Remember, this is an effect applied to a 2d layer. That layer's not even 3d as far as After Effects knows. To get around this remember, you don't have to have one unbroken layer throughout your whole comp.

I'm not quite sure what you've got going on in your scene, but from the sound of it I think I have a solution.
Split the layer after your 5th piece comes out. Then duplicate the new instance. In the lower version of the new instance go into the options and select the box and set it to be invisible (as well as the last two pieces). Then in the upper version, set the first 5 pieces as invisible and put them in a different layer set.
Now, your last pieces should be able to be put in layer sets and be animated out of the box while the pieces that already came out are just chilling in the background. (Depending on your animation, you may want the split to happen between the 4th and 5th piece, or the 6th and 7th piece, but the principle remains the same.)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Liam Stirland
on Feb 3, 2010 at 2:30:13 pm

Thanks for the reply but all pieces needed to come out at the same time, i have spoke to client and told them of the limitations and i am going to do it slightly differently, although i am still interested if anybody can find a way round this for the future, pro animator perhaps?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 3, 2010 at 6:23:08 pm

Two or three Invigorator layers. Have the front part of the box in one layer, the back part on another layer and your objects split between them.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]