ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

'Boiling' in retouched clip using clone tool

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Fawkes'Boiling' in retouched clip using clone tool
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 9:59:52 am

Hi there,

I'm creating an effect for a clip in a broadcast TV documentary using the clone tool but the results so far aren't satisfactory. I have some footage of an astronaut floating towards camera holding a piece of card with some text on it, I need to replace this with some other text. I'm fairly new to AE so not sure if my method is correct but it seems the only way to go about it is by manually erasing the text from each frame before rotoscoping on the new message - though its proving very difficult to avoid the flicker from inconsistent retouching, or'boiling', i think I've seen it called. To fix this it looks as though bluring and reintroducing grain is not a bad solution, or is there a better technique altogether? Any advice on retouching in this way would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt Fawkes

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: 'Boiling' in retouched clip using clone tool
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 1:05:28 pm

Rather than doing frame-by-frame retouching on the card, you can make a still frame of the new card and then composite it in over the old one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Matt FawkesRe: 'Boiling' in retouched clip using clone tool
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 1:59:24 pm

Thanks for responding. I should have said, its actually a thick piece of paper with a vertical and horizontal crease, also the astronaut floats from the distance with the paper flapping quite a lot. So there is some fairly subtle shading. I don't see how this could be replaced unfortunately. The way it is looking at them moment I will have to burn out most of the detail anyway by lightening the mid-tones after blurring it, I'm guessing this is the best work around? A lot of the flickering will be hidden by the new text so it should be acceptable... I imagine a shot like this would normally be done in 3D, or with a lot more time/skill than I have for retouching. Very happy to be proved wrong though, any other suggestions would be great.

Matt Fawkes

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: 'Boiling' in retouched clip using clone tool
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 2:18:12 pm

I agree with Todd, just motion track a new card face over the old one.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 3, 2010 at 3:37:25 pm

Thanks to you both for the advice, that does make more sense than trying to hold onto detail when the sign is small. Some time wasted but glad to have a good solution...

And nice to be in the forum after many visits.

Matt Fawkes

Return to posts index

by on Feb 9, 2010 at 3:52:46 am

I'm still not getting decent results with this effect. I'm wondering could you take a look at the source clip and let me know what you think?

http://mattfawkes.com/video_download/space.mov

The beginning isn't working too badly, it is really just the last several seconds when the sign is full frame. Firstly, the flickering from retouching is still quite noticeable, I have tried Remove Grain and blurring, any other suggestions would be great, or another solution altogether?

The other problem I'm having is getting the text to match the contours of the paper, it is tracked and corner pinned fine, but is there a way of warping the layer with Mesh Warp or similar that will follow the corner pin shape, so that points would be in the right place to create the crease etc?

As I mentioned I'm new to AE and motion graphics, trying to make the move from print and web (the shot is a trial but will be used for broadcast if good enough), so I'm unsure if this effect would normally be done in AE?

Thanks again for responding, any help would be appreciated.

Matt Fawkes

Return to posts index

by on Feb 10, 2010 at 5:48:05 pm

No ideas? Would be good if someone could let me know if this is something achievable in After Effects...

Thanks

Matt Fawkes

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 'Boiling' in retouched clip using clone tool
by on Feb 10, 2010 at 6:02:30 pm

That clip is so heavily-compressed that I can't see anything wrong with it. It looks fine.

If you insist on sticking with painting out the unwanted text frame-by-frame, you're going to have trouble. A guy from Adobe said so, and a really good After Effects animator said so.

From the bad look I have of the video, the replacement text looks fine. If you really do have a lot of excess room on that paper, I'd use an animated mask on a duplicated layer to isolate the clean part of the paper, then reposition it to cover up the unwanted text.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Feb 11, 2010 at 10:27:20 am

Hi Dave, thanks for responding. It looks like the flickering is not a problem for the client, but that sounds like a great technique, I'll use it in future if this situation comes up again. (The clip is the original but clearly the problem was not as bad as I thought anyway).

Thanks again

Matt Fawkes

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]