ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Weird problem with the star tool.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabe ClayWeird problem with the star tool.
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 8:04:20 am

Hey everyone, I'm new to creative cow forums but I'm not new to After Effects and I have a very strange problem. I was trying to use the star tool to make a mask but when I started drawing the mask I noticed it didn't look anything like a normal star. Instead it looked like a star with about 25 rounded points. I've been using after effects for a long time now and I have never had this problem before. I've tried for hours to fix it with no luck. Hopefully one of you guys out there can help me.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Weird problem with the star tool.
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 1:00:33 pm

from "Create a shape or mask by dragging with shape tools":

"Each shape tool retains the settings of the most recent drawing operation with that tool. For example, if you draw a star and modify the number of points to be 10, then the next star that you draw will also have 10 points. To reset settings for a tool and create a shape with the default settings, double-click the tool in the Tools panel."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Gabe ClayRe: Weird problem with the star tool.
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 6:34:00 pm

Thanks for your help. I actually tried that and it didn't work for some reason. But I was able to fix the problem by deleting the preferences file.

Return to posts index

Greg C NeumayerRe: Weird problem with the star tool.
by on Oct 7, 2015 at 4:49:38 pm
Last Edited By Greg C Neumayer on Oct 7, 2015 at 4:51:01 pm

Does double-clicking the Star Tool (mask button) still let me specify the details of this mask? When I double-click I just get a star mask applied to my comp (or it generates a shape, if no comp selected), but I can't find how to adjust the number of points, etc.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Weird problem with the star tool.
by on Oct 7, 2015 at 5:26:58 pm

Seems that the current method for mask generation with polystar is similar to Adobe Illustrator method, that is, you can change the settings while you draw the mask (before you release the mouse button). Ctrl for adjusting the outer radius, arrow keys for adding points and changing the star points roundness.

With shape layers, the settings are adjustable afterwards by twirling down to the contents>polystar settings.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 7, 2015 at 5:54:47 pm

Ah. Thank you. That's what I was looking for.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there's any support for adjusting the roundness of the rounded rectangle mask. It's not really a very useful mask tool if I can't adjust that.

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Weird problem with the star tool.
by on Oct 7, 2015 at 6:37:53 pm
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Oct 7, 2015 at 6:41:42 pm

The up and down arrow keys do that.

The full details can be found here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/creating-shapes-masks.html#crea...

Return to posts index

by on Oct 7, 2015 at 6:44:38 pm

Scratch that...
Up/down arrows do change the roundness before you've released the mouse key. It just wasn't working for me for some reason. Thanks, Kalle.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]