ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

update and now can't import MPEG2 ?!?!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alex ezorsky
update and now can't import MPEG2 ?!?!
on Feb 3, 2010 at 6:58:37 am

Hi I just updated AE via the adobe updater and after restart I can no longer import Mpeg2 files. I get the error "it may be an unsupported format". Also when I go to import and simply select an mpeg file the little descriptor in the import window says mp3.

I am running Mac OSX 10.5.8 AE 9.0.2 and Mpeg2 worked absolutely fine before this update.

Does anyone know what might've happened and or know how I can fix this/rollback??? My guess is that it somehow refreshed the codec folder and now I have to reinstall or replace the mpeg2 codec.

Any ideas? This is very frustrating.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: update and now can't import MPEG2 ?!?!
on Feb 3, 2010 at 4:59:15 pm

[alex ezorsky] "Hi I just updated AE via the adobe updater and after restart I can no longer import Mpeg2 files... I am running Mac OSX 10.5.8 AE 9.0.2 and Mpeg2 worked absolutely fine before this update."

Yeah, well, consider yourself extremely lucky that you got mpeg2 to work AT ALL. Those days are now gone for you. Read on:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

alex ezorsky
on Feb 3, 2010 at 6:30:07 pm

Hi, thanks for responding.

However, I kind of figured you might say that. I know mpeg2 is not a happy medium for AE but whats really frustrating me is that I had NO problems before the update, even with the exact same files. I guess I was really wondering if anyone here knew the internal structure of the AE program on a mac and if so how to re-install codecs.

Your help is highly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 3, 2010 at 6:35:32 pm

Now, you DO have the mpeg plugin for quicktime, right? They don't give it away; it's something like $12.50 US.

It MIGHT allow you to see the files --I don't have any personal experience with it -- and I make absolutely NO guarantees about the quality of your AE renders. I maintain that you shouldn't be using mpeg2 in AE in the first place.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]