ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to link digits to photoshop layers?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew CliftHow to link digits to photoshop layers?
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 5:57:43 am

Hi

I want to create a video that on one side has a number (for the day of the year) and on the other side it will have a Photoshop layer that will correspond to that number. As the numbers change (preferably by some parameter that I can keyframe), it will somehow make the photoshop layer change accordingly.

Is this something that is possible with After Effects? I am more familiar with Apple Motion but do not know any method it can do it so I thought it may be possible with After Effects.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.mattclift.com

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: How to link digits to photoshop layers?
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 6:30:14 am

I could see the numbers effect and a time remap of an image sequence being tied together via an expression or perhaps both linked to a null object with an expression control effect being tied to it. However, I'm not exactly an expressions guru and it's past my bedtime right now so I can't do you an example code at the moment. But, I would think it possible.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How to link digits to photoshop layers?
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 6:07:22 pm

If I understand your problem correctly, there isn't any automatic way to change the layer in an AE comp based on the settings in either a text layer or the time effect.

Have you looked around the various web sites to see if there's a script existing for this?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jacques DavisRe: How to link digits to photoshop layers?
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 8:32:48 pm

If you want the same movie to behave differently according to different number, you could try to translate these numbers in colors ( 0 = black, 16581375 = white ) with a soft like director and get a quicktime movie .

Then you link this "color" movie through expression to your layers.

If you want yours layers to behave randomly according to a text, you could try to record your text and link the wave channel through expression to your layers ...

Return to posts index

Matthew CliftRe: How to link digits to photoshop layers?
by on Feb 4, 2010 at 10:59:02 pm

Cool, thanks everyone for your advise.
I am much more familiar with Motion so it will take me a while to work out how to do some of these things. However it looks like there are some possibilities.
Thanks again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]