ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Color Profiles

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gage UllmanColor Profiles
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 1:28:21 am

I don't work with ICC profiles a lot, that being fairly unimportant to most of what I do. But I was just now asked to convert a bunch of tiff sequences into movie files (okay no problem), but then to make sure that the movie files had the same embedded color profile as the tiffs.

The only thing I found in AE is "preserve RGB" in both the interpret footage window and again in the render settings, but if I set both of those things to "Yes, please do that," and then reimport the footage into AE, it comes in without having a color profile (it says "none" instead of "Pixar RGB 1995").

is this something I should just do in Quicktime? This is the sort of techie stuff that I don't do well with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Daniel Coutinho FerreiraRe: Color Profiles
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 2:26:34 am

I don't do well with that either, but did you try "File > Project Settings" and change the "Color Settings"?
Hope you can solve your problem!

Return to posts index

Gage UllmanRe: Color Profiles
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 5:58:20 pm

I looked there, but unfortunately the specific color profile that was embedded in the files I was using wasn't listed among the options under "working space," which is where I assume I'd look for it, right? I figured I'd have to download a color profile and install it somewhere in AE, but since the profile is Pixar, I'm not sure that it would be available online. But again, all this is conjecture.

Thanks, though!
-Gage Ullman

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Color Profiles
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 5:03:20 am

See this page for information about assigning a color profile for output: "Assign an output color profile".

I recommend starting from the beginning, though: "Color management and color profiles".

If you don't use color management, you're really just rolling the dice with your colors. In my opinion, it's worth learning how to do this so that you can have greater confidence that your output files look the way that you intend when played on various devices.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Gage UllmanRe: Color Profiles
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 5:58:46 pm

I will read those thoroughly, thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved