ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

"Fire Trail" effect help needed

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Ramsey"Fire Trail" effect help needed
by on Feb 2, 2010 at 4:47:59 pm

A friend of mine, an avid snowboarder, asked if I could make a trail of fire, like in Back To The Future, igniting behind his snowboard as he zooms past the camera.
I have a wall of flame already keyed out, but I can't seem to get it to "chase" the snowboard. I tried squishing it down until it's off frame, setting a key frame, and expanding it behind the snowboard, but it's not doing what I had hoped it would.
What am I doing wrong? Any other idea of how this effect can be pulled off..I'm sure it's something very simple, but it's just escaping me. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Andy DykstraRe: "Fire Trail" effect help needed
by on Feb 2, 2010 at 5:06:22 pm

Try using a "linear wipe" effect on the flames. You can set the direction to the same as your snowboarder, and then set keyframes on the completion % to match the movement.

Andy Dykstra

Return to posts index

David FranklinRe: "Fire Trail" effect help needed
by on Feb 2, 2010 at 10:10:23 pm

Do you have a copy of trapcode particular or particular 2.0?

If there's any 3D aspect to your scene, it's going to be difficult to key in a single layer of fire and have it look like anything.

In the poster: , the fire is at a 3/4 angle to the camera.

In this situation, breaking your fire layer into multiple planes of flames which light up one after the next might get closer to what you're thinking of. And if you could animate a particle generator in Z space to link between them, it might get better yet.

These are just thoughts. Without seeing the shot you're trying to work with it would be hard to be any more specific.
Made With Care In Brooklyn, NY

Return to posts index

scott novasicRe: "Fire Trail" effect help needed
by on Feb 4, 2010 at 3:56:34 am

particle illusion offers many great fire presets that would look great for that effect. Much easier than Particular.... my 2 cents

Animation & Visual Effects
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca

Return to posts index

Mark RamseyRe: "Fire Trail" effect help needed
by on Feb 4, 2010 at 8:51:39 pm

Actually, I'm going to try something out tonight...I have a single flame keyed out as well as the wall of flames...I'm going to just attach the single flame, duplicate it, attach it just a few frames later, etc...resizing some of the flames as the snowboarder gets closer to the camera...then of course I'll have to attach motion tracking to them all as the camera bounces and pans around. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out...and if I have any further problems, I'll give ya'll a shout out about them, too. *lol*

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved