ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Unwanted change of position

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sofia SvenssonUnwanted change of position
by on Feb 2, 2010 at 11:44:53 am

Very odd thing going on in an animation I'm making.

Two lines of text are animated in from different horizontal directions. They fly in fast. Keyframe. Slow down and slowly glide forward. Keyframe. And finally speed forward again and dissapear.

Easy right? It's AE basics even. So I'm embaressed to say I've run into trouble.

Here's what happens:
The text speeds in as it should. Slows down as it should. But instead of slowly going forward, the text sort of bounces back and fourth between the keyframed positions I've set. Then they speed off again as they should.

What's going on? There's something wonky going on between the two keyframes and I've tried to look at the graph editor for clues but I can't see anything.

Appreciate any tips you can give me. :)

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
David JohnsonRe: Unwanted change of position
by on Feb 2, 2010 at 12:43:36 pm

Sounds like you might have an extra keyframe or wrong keyframe interpolation for what you're trying to do. Maybe zoom all the way in on your timeline and make sure you don't have an extra keyframe between the two you intended to have, then right-click on each of your keyframes to make sure their interpolation is linear (or whatever you want it to be).

Return to posts index

Sofia SvenssonRe: Unwanted change of position
by on Feb 2, 2010 at 1:53:50 pm

Hurrah!! Keyframe Interpolation was set to "Auto Bezier" which caused my problem.

Thank you so much for your help!!! :-)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Unwanted change of position
by on Feb 2, 2010 at 3:59:45 pm

You don't have to abandon the use of Auto Bezier if it's important to the motion. You simply have to adjust the Bezier Handles at crucial points in the motion path.

Search in the COW's AE podcasts for Aharon Rabinowitz' 2-part series on the Boomerang Effect. He 'splains it all.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave JohnsonRe: Unwanted change of position
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 3:14:01 pm

Dave makes a very good point with "You don't have to abandon the use of Auto Bezier if it's important to the motion". The various fine-point controls over keyframe behaviors are collectively a strong benefit of doing even basic motion in AE versus most other software. So, if you're not very familiar with various types of keyframes and keyframe controls, it would probably be beneficial to read up on them.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906...

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]