ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

If Open GL/Multiprocessing say they're on, why aren't they working?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Walker
If Open GL/Multiprocessing say they're on, why aren't they working?
on Feb 2, 2010 at 6:39:31 am

Why do I see this!?

I'm on a late 2008 MBP running OSX 10.6+ on the higher performance (that means GeForce 9600 card, right?) setting, out of Adobe AE CS4.

AE Settings:
"OpenGL" - [on] - in both Preferences and Render Settings

"Multiprocessing" - [on] - with "longer render times" and using up to 2 processors, I believe, like 1.78ish GB per

I'm exporting a HDTV 1920x1280 29.97fps comp out to ProRes 422 (HQ). COuld the codec be the problem?

I don't know what to do! And I would love my render times to decrease!!!

Help much appreciated.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: If Open GL/Multiprocessing say they're on, why aren't they working?
on Feb 2, 2010 at 7:00:16 am

Have you updated to After Effects CS4 (9.0.2)? That update contained some fixes for Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing on Snow Leopard (Mac OSX 10.6).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 2, 2010 at 2:15:38 pm

And if you are running the most current version of AE, what are the other specs of your machine? RAM, processor, etc.?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 2, 2010 at 3:52:23 pm

[Christopher Walker] ""OpenGL" - [on] - in both Preferences and Render Settings "

Open GL isn't quite the boon to AE rendering that you might think. In other applications, it's great. Not so great in AE. You'd be wise to disable Open GL for rendering. With a comp of any kind of complexity, it typically does more harm than good.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Christopher Walker
on Feb 3, 2010 at 5:34:18 am

I've got going a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB of 1067MHz DDR3 RAM and running the project's source files from a SimpleTech Duo Pro external desktop drive via FireWire 800.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Feb 3, 2010 at 5:41:42 am

4GB of RAM is not enough RAM for Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing. See this post.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]