ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

distorting a graphic along a path

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Kimberdistorting a graphic along a path
by on Feb 1, 2010 at 7:29:43 pm

I've searched the forums ad nauseam for an answer to this question and can't find it. I'm trying to have a graphic (which is in a straight line) come on to my screen as a straight line and follow a path, distorting itself along the path as it follows it in its position property. Essentially, I want it to eventually become a circle and follow a circular path. I'm working in After Effects 6.5 PRO. (Antiquated, I know). Any suggestions would be appreciated. I embedded a visual I put together in Photoshop below. Obviously, it's a rudimentary drawing, but it shows the path I hope to follow and how I hope to distort the graphic. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: distorting a graphic along a path
by on Feb 1, 2010 at 8:06:09 pm

I'm trying to remember what effects come with AE 6.5...
You could try Distort>Bezier Warp, Mesh Warp, or ReShape. It might be a bit tricky to get a full loop out of any of them though.

It may require a combination of effects on a combination of layers.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Bob RootRe: distorting a graphic along a path
by on Feb 1, 2010 at 8:19:04 pm

Try drawing your path with the pen tool, or import a path made in Illustrator.

Then add the Stroke effect. You'll need to keyframe both your start and end points (or come up with a clever expression) to offset your line moving along the path.

Hope I understood you correctly.

Bob

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: distorting a graphic along a path
by on Feb 1, 2010 at 8:33:35 pm

Oh, I was thinking some sort of flowing graphic thing that needed to be distorted (like in this series of tutorials), but rereading his post after seeing your post, you're right; he might just mean a line (maybe like this one?)...either way, he's got help.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Sean KimberRe: distorting a graphic along a path
by on Feb 1, 2010 at 10:05:34 pm

Actually, you were correct. I was hoping to use a pre-made graphic and have it follow a mask path. I was hoping to do this using an expression or something of that nature, but I'm not sure if such a thing would exist. The one thing I can't do is purchase a third party plug-in. Thank you both for your suggestions, though!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]