ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Crash when using Windows Media export

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randy McWilsonCrash when using Windows Media export
by on Feb 1, 2010 at 3:34:56 pm

In the render queue, as soon as I select Windows Media export, and then click the "Format Options" box it always crashes with a "0::42 error".

This is Windows XP 64bit SP2 with 4 gigs of ram. Intel i7 860 chip. After Effects CS3.0.2

Could it be a service pack issue?

Return to posts index

Randy McWilsonRe: Crash when using Windows Media export
by on Feb 1, 2010 at 4:22:42 pm

I found a (workable) solution. I had to go to the Presets folder and DELETE all of the WMV presets (I just CUT and pasted them to a new folder). It will now allow a WMV export without a 0:42 crash. I will start putting the presets back in one at a time to find the offending preset.

Eternity...don't miss it for the world.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Crash when using Windows Media export
by on Feb 2, 2010 at 4:04:59 pm

You'd think AE could handle such a chore easily, but in truth, AE does MUCH better when rendering (don't export!) high-quality files:

Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved