ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Quadro cx OpenGL very slow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Ah SamQuadro cx OpenGL very slow
by on Feb 1, 2010 at 11:59:35 am

Hi, I am having problems with a video i'm editing which is 720x480 and using openGl with a Quadro CX (1.5 gb video ram) which is equivalent to the Quadro 4800 but with cs4 advantages.

The preview is slow and goes blurry without any special effects applied to the composition.

I have the latest driver for the GPU and according to the reviews and website I am suppose to get near real time for much advanced projects but with this simple one playing back a video I get average 13.7 fps out of the 23.976

I am using After Effects cs4 (

My rig is:
Windows 7 64 bit
Dual Core 6000+ 3.02 Ghz
4Gb Ram

Any help will be much appreciated, Thank you

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Quadro cx OpenGL very slow
by on Feb 1, 2010 at 4:25:22 pm

[Victor Ah Sam] "Any help will be much appreciated, Thank you"

Two things come to mind:

1) A hot graphics card doesn't really help in AE. You can get away with using Open GL in previewing, but don't EVER use it when rendering. It does more harm than good.

2) Keep your fingers off the space bar! This isn't an editing application, this is After Effects, a compositing and effects application that works totally different from your editor. You can't PLAY anything. AE has to render EVERYTHING. So learn now to RAM Preview:

Look under "Preview Video and Audio"

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Victor Ah SamRe: Quadro cx OpenGL very slow
by on Feb 2, 2010 at 1:17:01 am

Hi Dave

Thank you for the quick response.

1. Please check out this video if you have time:

As it shows how the scrubbing as well as navigating whilst on GPU doesn't stutter as much as if it were running on Cpu in After Effects.

With my video I am editing, the scrubbing and navigating stutters when running on GPU.

2. Thank you for clearing this up, I wasn't sure if videos without effects needed to be rendered.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved