ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Ram settings - I just need a straight answer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Cordes
Ram settings - I just need a straight answer
on Jan 31, 2010 at 7:45:14 pm

I'm really sorry to post this as I'm sure I could find the answer if I looked hard but I just need someone to give me a difinitive answer.

My current setup is a 2.2gz dual core with 4gigs of ram and a decent graphics card. I'm going to be upgrading to 8gigs of ram when I have the budget. Oh and I'm running 64bit windows 7.

Can someone please tell me how much ram per core I should be using in the preferences tab? And whether I should enable multipe core processing? And can someone answer the same question for the 8gig of ram set-up.

Thanks in aniticipation.

Steve

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Ram settings - I just need a straight answer
on Feb 1, 2010 at 12:52:07 am

This post is meant to answer exactly that question:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2009/12/performance-tip-dont-starve-yo.h...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Stephen Cordes
on Feb 1, 2010 at 10:10:58 am

Thanks very much - you have answered my question. I neither have enough memory or ram to enable multi-core processing. Even when I buy 8gb of ram.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Feb 1, 2010 at 3:12:03 pm

> Thanks very much - you have answered my question. I neither have enough memory or ram to enable multi-core processing. Even when I buy 8gb of ram.

I don't know how you came to that conclusion from what I pointed you to.

Yes, 8GB of RAM is enough to use Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously. It's enough to feed three processor cores (leaving 2GB for other software) for a typical HD-sized composition.

If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Stephen Cordes
on Feb 1, 2010 at 8:08:00 pm

I don't have three processor cores. I only have two.

Return to posts index

Stephen Cordes
on Feb 1, 2010 at 8:21:51 pm

Sorry that should have been I don't have four cores. Only two

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 1, 2010 at 8:22:56 pm

Well, then you can give two cores 3GB for multiprocessing. It's still better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Stephen Cordes
on Feb 1, 2010 at 8:36:49 pm

Thanks fir your answers and sorry to keep posting. But the guide you showed me said I should leave a core for the operating system and not set that value to 0 (ie never fire up all your cores). . Could I use one core with 7 gb of ram?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Feb 1, 2010 at 9:00:17 pm

> But the guide you showed me said I should leave a core for the operating system and not set that value to 0 (ie never fire up all your cores). .

No, it doesn't say that. It says to never reduce the amount of memory for other application down to zero.

> Could I use one core with 7 gb of ram?

No. The limit per process is 4GB. That is because After Effects CS4 is a 32-bit application.

Return to posts index

Stephen Cordes
on Feb 1, 2010 at 9:31:23 pm

I quote from the subpage of the link above. The offici adobe help Manual

"CPUs To Leave For Other Applications Set this value to a number other than 0 to prevent After Effects from using all of the CPUs (processor cores) in your computer system. For example, if you have a computer with 8 CPUs, setting this value to 2 leaves 6 CPUs for After Effects."

so for me only having two cores I couldn't set 3gb per core as it would fire up both cores?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 1, 2010 at 9:39:54 pm

[Stephen Cordes] "I quote from the subpage of the link above. The offici adobe help Manual

"CPUs To Leave For Other Applications Set this value to a number other than 0 to prevent After Effects from using all of the CPUs (processor cores) in your computer system. For example, if you have a computer with 8 CPUs, setting this value to 2 leaves 6 CPUs for After Effects."

I read that as more of an explanation than a command. If you had eight cores, you could leave a couple idle during render so you could work on something else and your computer would still have enough horsepower to be responsive. With two cores, if you want to increase your render speed, you can leave it set to 0, but you shouldn't expect your computer to be very responsive to you while it's maxed out rendering.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Stephen Cordes
on Feb 1, 2010 at 9:46:42 pm

Perfect thankyou very much.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Feb 1, 2010 at 10:11:43 pm

Yes, Walter is right.

When you quote the After Effects manual, you quote me. So, I apologize if that wasn't clear. Perhaps the sentence would be more clear as "If you want to prevent After Effects from using all of the processor cores..."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]