ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Replacing layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike sternReplacing layers
by on Jan 31, 2010 at 2:39:40 pm

I have a pretty complicated transition i made in AE in which the camera moves in 3D space through a large number of footage layers, which are located differently, have a different size and are masked differently.
Is there a smart way in which i could simply replace those layers and keep all the new footage layers in the exact same position, size and mask that the old layers had? It could save me tons of work..

I'm guessing the answer would be expressions, but i don't know how exactly..

Thnx ahead

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: Replacing layers
by on Jan 31, 2010 at 3:21:24 pm

Select the new footage item in the project pane.
Select the layer which needs its footage replaced.
Option-drag the footage to the layer which needs to be replaced.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Replacing layers
by on Jan 31, 2010 at 4:12:55 pm

Or alt-drag if you're on a PC.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Replacing layers
by on Jan 31, 2010 at 5:49:44 pm

Manually replacing each footage source or layer is indeed the standard way. I'll just mention and alternative method since you're dealing with "a large number of footage layers". You could save a copy of the project, hide the original sources from AE and point AE to the alternate sources when you open the copy.

I've used this method to make several versions of projects with hundreds of sources ... it's actually not nearly as cumbersome as it may sound and works flawlessly, but I'd only recommend it for a meticulous type person since doing it wrong can be problematic (i.e., careful file naming and folder structures are important).

If you do choose this method, there may be a few things in these threads that'll help with minor issues inherent to the method:

Return to posts index

carlos castroRe: Replacing layers
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 4:44:15 pm

select the layer that you want to replace, then drag+alt the file to your time line

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved