ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Non-standard frame encoding

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott InukaiNon-standard frame encoding
by on Jan 30, 2010 at 8:30:26 pm

I'm trying to encode/compress a non-standard frame size (1538w x 32h) for a client proof out of AE CS4. I used to be able to do a windows media file but it seems with the new version of encoder I can't change the frame size to something so far from standard.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Non-standard frame encoding
by on Jan 31, 2010 at 12:15:28 pm

You could create a movie in a different format---such as QuickTime or AVI (Video for Windows)---that doesn't have such constraints on frame dimensions.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Non-standard frame encoding
by on Jan 31, 2010 at 12:27:13 pm

Not all codecs allow arbitrary frame sizes; many use blocks of a certain size (for example, 8x8) and require that your video frame be an even multiple of the block size.

You could export a lossless AVI from AE and try one of Microsoft's free encoders; alternately, you might letterbox or pillarbox your output for client review purposes into a standard frame size.

The COW also has a Compression techniques forum, where you might be able to find some help.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved