ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Will actual 64Bit Plugins still work in CS5

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Rixner
Will actual 64Bit Plugins still work in CS5
on Jan 30, 2010 at 6:23:26 pm

Hello :)

I've read that CS5 will only support 64Bit plugins.

I am interrested in Colorista and found that it already supports 64Bit systems.

So does that mean it will run in CS5 which will only be 64Bit ?

If not, I would wait, as CS5 seems to be just around the corner.

If yes I could buy it now with the good feeing for my actual CS3 32Bit version.

Thanks!

Peter

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Will actual 64Bit Plugins still work in CS5
on Jan 30, 2010 at 7:04:53 pm

There's a difference between "supporting 64-bit operating systems" and the plug-in (library) itself being a 64-bit library. Any 32-bit application (and its libraries) can run on a 64-bit operating system. The real question is whether the plug-in itself is 64-bit to enable it to run when loaded into a 64-bit application.

Disclaimer: I don't know the details of Colorista. You should really ask these sorts of questions directly to the makers and distributors of the software---in this case Red Giant.

I encourage people to have conversations about 64-bit After Effects and 64-bit plug-ins in general with Michael Coleman, the After Effects product manager. There's already a conversation going in the comments on his blog. Having the conversation on a bunch of disparate forums seems to be a recipe for half-information and confusion.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Peter Rixner
on Jan 30, 2010 at 7:10:30 pm

Thanks!

So I will ask Red Giant Software.

What I didn't completely understand from Your answer is, if it will work or not :)

You mean it works in any case but maybe cannot use the advantages of a 64Bit Plugin. Which means I still cannot use as much memory. Right ?

Peter

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jan 30, 2010 at 7:15:47 pm

To work with a 64-bit application, the plug-in must be a 64-bit plug-in. I don't know whether Colorista is already available as a 64-bit plug-in. Ask Red Giant that. What I do know is that a statement that a plug-in "supports 64-bit operating systems" is not the same as the crucial statement that the plug-in itself is a 64-bit plug-in.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Peter Rixner
on Jan 30, 2010 at 7:25:37 pm

OK, thanks.

Peter

Return to posts index

Matt Silverman
on Jan 30, 2010 at 10:19:51 pm

Short answer is "no". The current version of the plug-in you buy today will not work in CS5. You need a 64bit plug-in.

Since AE CS5 is not out yet, no 3rd party devs have released 64bit plug-ins. I am assuming most vendors will be charging for 64bit upgrades. Porting is not a simple process and requires development time (depending on the plug-in could be significant re-writing) and they probably will want to be compensated for this. Your best bet is to contact the plug-in vendor and see if they can cut you a deal for a free upgrade if you order now. Some might bite...

Return to posts index

Peter Rixner
on Jan 30, 2010 at 10:59:05 pm

Thanks for the short answer :)

I wrote to RedGiantSoftware and wait what they have to say.

But in general that's a interesting question for all plugins.

Who would buy anything now if there is no clear statement what will be when we have no other choice than the 64Bit version.

Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]