ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

stabilizing a kiteboarding kite cam

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Mikullastabilizing a kiteboarding kite cam
by on Jan 30, 2010 at 6:06:38 pm

Maybe this question should just be, "are there any good motion stabilizing tutorials"?! But I'll give some detail to my dilemma.
I used a kite cam, a small hd cam that attaches to the center strut of the kite and points toward the rider,(me). I can adjust for the kite rotation in FCp very easy, but I tried to make use of the "motion stabilizer" in AE. Its seems very touchy, or the footage is just very hard for AE to interpret. It strays from the set point ,(me again ),after only a few frames, so I ended up doing frame by frame in some cases. It also seems to degrade the footage by the time I get it back into FCP.
Any suggestions on how to use the motion stabilizer. And workflow suggestions? Currently I'm doing the rotation adjustment in FCP, then exporting a self-contained qt, bringig it into AE, doing the stabilze, then exporting using apple intermediate codec which seems to work the best , goin back into FCP for more cutting.
Here is a vimeo link with a test clip , should be viewable by 1:30pm east coast time.
Thanks , Dean

AE 6.0 ( yes its old! )
MacBook Pro 17"
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,2
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved