ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Can't export a good AVI

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott DicksonCan't export a good AVI
by on Jan 30, 2010 at 9:51:32 am

I need to render out an uncompressed 1080p AVI file. (It's a straight-forward project: I'm importing a jpg image sequence, setting audio to to, and exporting it... no resizing or anything.) But I've never been able to get this to work without either (a) getting an error message upon hitting "render", or (b) getting an avi file that I can't seem to open in any third party player afterwards. (I'm on Windows XP-64)

I've been using Mac for so long, I just am totally unfamiliar with nuances pertaining to this format. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I'm dealing with a very particular autostereoscopic video project that requires uncompressed delivery of 1080p imagery in the AVI format.

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Can't export a good AVI
by on Jan 31, 2010 at 1:50:17 am

Sounds like codec issues. Similar to MOV, AVI is a just wrapper that can be encoded with any one of very many codecs. So, if you render an AVI using a codec the players you're using can't decode, those players won't be able to play the file. Try checking exactly what codec your AVI is set to render with to make sure its a codec you're familiar with and that doesn't require a proprietary decoder that you don't have installed. Note that "uncompressed" still requires a codec and there are many codecs that can be used to render "uncompressed". On my Win machines, I have "uncompressed" codecs from AJA, BlackMagic, Avid and a few others I don't recall, but I had to install most of them and probably had to install separate decoders for some of them.

I hope that helps and sorry if its all stuff you already know.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Can't export a good AVI
by on Jan 31, 2010 at 2:39:37 am

If all you're doing is adding audio and exporting it, I would think you would want to avoid AE altogether and use something like Premiere and Adobe's Media Encoder for the final output.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved