ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Cycore Plugin

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick BronteCycore Plugin
by on Jan 30, 2010 at 2:58:58 am

Does anyone know of any tutorials available that outline how to use Cycore Systems Sphere Utilities? Is there anyone who would except a donation/commission to put together something that describes how to use it in order to create animated campaign maps?

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: Cycore Plugin
by on Jan 30, 2010 at 3:05:18 am

You can download the manual here:

Basically you need a spherical map like the ones you can get here:

Then you just apply the effect and adjust the radius for size and lighting and shading parameters to taste. It's pretty simple really.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 30, 2010 at 3:18:21 am

Actually a better source for the type of map you need is here:

And here's one on google images:

Oh yea, you can keyframe its rotation in the rotation parameters, which is fun.

Return to posts index

Patrick BronteRe: Cycore Plugin
by on Jan 30, 2010 at 3:56:35 am

so you would put something together?

this is what i need to portrait with the animated map....

I am in need of two high resolution [tiff files if possible] geographical, satellite maps that shows New Zealand, Australia and South East Asia. I need this map to show the political boundaries of New Guinea, Indonesia, Borneo, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia, Loas, VIETNAM, China and Japan.
The intention is to create a dynamic map that uses animation to display to distance from Wellington, NZ to Vung Tao, Vietnam. During this course the map will display stop off points in Australia and Singapore.

Secondly, I need a High Res map of Vietnam. The intention here is to zoom in to South Vietnam once the first map reaches Vietnam. The final image is to show [as 'zoomed in' as possible] the geographical landscape of Vung Tao and the surrounding region.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 30, 2010 at 4:39:00 am

Have you tried just googling political and physical map Vietnam, SE Asia, etc.? More than likely someone will have those for free or for sale.

Get one, slap the effect on and go to town!

But you will need to have more than a rudimentary understanding of AE's animation controls before you can begin to relate the generalities of any tutorial with the specifics of your particular project.

If you are comfortable with panning around layers that are larger than your composition, and know how to play around with and get a feel for the controls of an untried (but easy) plug-in, and you still can't think of an imaginative way to use those two skills with a big ole beautiful hi-res image of the earth, then maybe a tutorial could be of use.

If you just need inspiration, you could google some motion graphics sites, ones with an emphasis on geography or space themes. Or watch a lot of the History channel and Discover.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 30, 2010 at 3:43:27 am

Thanks Joey

I wanted to know this sort of thing before I purchased the plugin. I contacted Cycore with the same questions but didn't really get anywhere.

Thanks heaps for pointing out the site where to get some decent maps from.

Have you had much experience in creating animated maps [like those you see on historical docs etc]? Its the reason i started to teach myself AE and PS. I'm looking for articles, tutorials anything related to this subject, both to learn how it do it, get some hints/tips or ideas/inspiration on how incorporate the map graphics into the subjects theme and create something a little more dynamic than the standard moving arrows- have you got any idea as to where I might find such resources or someone who specializes in this sort of thing?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 30, 2010 at 4:15:20 am

Why do you need to purchase the plug-in? It's been bundled with AE since version 6.5.

You could just google the question for tuts and resources, but what i'm telling you about the plug-in specifically is that it's really fantastically simple to use, and that as soon as you apply it and play with its (not many) controls you'll instantly get a feel for how it works and how easy it is to use.

But if you're talking about creating the sort of motion graphic where you zoom into the earth and then move across the surface in anything other than a straight path, then you'll need to learn to use AE's 3d camera controls, and that's another can of worms.

But you could start here:

What I mean is that for that effect you would have to combine 3d layers, camera animation, and CC Sphere.

Or you could keyframe the radius parameter in CC Sphere until the globe fills the screen, then introduce some clouds either via image maps or generating them with particles. Let the clouds obscure the view then transition to non-sphere-ized map layer. Then use the pan behind tool to pan (fly) across the surface.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Cycore Plugin
by on Jan 31, 2010 at 12:17:24 pm

CFX Sphere Utilities is not the same as CC Sphere. The package is a companion to CC Sphere, and allows you to animate effects on spherical maps.

There's a demo available, so you can try it out and make sure it suits your needs.

Cycore also has the manual and a sample project online -- perhaps these will help you.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Jan 31, 2010 at 1:02:53 pm

Oops, my bad.

But it might be worth exploring how much you can accomplish in AE before investing in a plug-in.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 31, 2010 at 11:18:18 pm

Thanks heaps for all your post Joey.

I dont think I'm to far away from being able to do what you've suggested. I'm half way through AE Apprentice and my confidence is getting a lot better.

Thanks again....

Return to posts index

by on Feb 1, 2010 at 12:46:35 am

You're welcome, Patrick. In my last post I mistakenly wrote that you could move the nested hi-res comp around with the pan tool. Actually you just drag it around with the Selection tool, animating its position, and generating a motion curve, the timing of which you can tweak to taste in the comp window and timeline, or with the Graph Editor.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved