ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Snow Leopard & Dropped Frames in Quicktime???

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason RichardsSnow Leopard & Dropped Frames in Quicktime???
by on Jan 29, 2010 at 5:57:18 pm

We just upgraded to Snow Leopard and we are having serious issues with Quicktime or something???
We loaded QT X, but we are still using QT 7, which maybe is causing issues, but not sure? Here's the scenario: I rendered a logo animation from Cinema 4d HD 1920x1080 just like I've done a million times. I loaded the clip into After Effects CS4 and previewed it and it starts dropping frames and/or having black frames. Thinking it was AE I doubled checked it with Quicktime both X and 7, both behaved the same way.. dropped frames. So, out of desperation I went over and jumped on the ole' Mac G5 running CS3. And what do you know, perfect. The clip plays without ANY problems? So we have 3 Mac Quad-cores that it won't play back correctly, but it has no problem on the G5.

Anyone have any idea WTF is wrong or where to begin. We are using an XSAN with fiber ( although i did check it by playing it off my Local drives as well with same result). I have tried deleting my AE preferences. And in case you are wondering, it did not matter if i changed my preview resolution to Quarter, half and obviously it didn't work on Full.

And what to do about Quicktime X,, can I just delete this crappy app and just keep 7. And why the F__k will snow leopard NOT remember my default setting to open my clips with 7.. it's maddening, and i'm desperate ??!!!! ANYONE please :)

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Snow Leopard & Dropped Frames in Quicktime???
by on Jan 29, 2010 at 7:38:29 pm

Did you update to After Effects CS4 (9.0.2)?

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Jason RichardsRe: Snow Leopard & Dropped Frames in Quicktime???
by on Jan 29, 2010 at 8:09:42 pm

Yes we did the update.

I'm just not sure what the problem is or where to begin. We did a clean install to snow leopard, so I don't know if its a perfect storm of Snow Leopard or what. Is it Quicktime X causing issues, are we having preferences issues, no idea. It works on the G5, so obviously it's Snow Leopard in some capacity.

Plus, we keep getting this error (see-below), not all the time. Sometimes we get the error on a clip and 15minutes later the same clip works fine, that sounds like a permissions issue ?

After Effects Error : Error (4) reading frame from file /volumes/... our file path.
(86 :: 2)

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it !

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Snow Leopard & Dropped Frames in Quicktime???
by on Jan 29, 2010 at 9:24:02 pm

this is just a workaround, not a solution....

i haven't heard of any problems like this and i'm not sure what codec you chose, but you could bypass any quicktime interference by rending an image sequence (tiff, png, psd, etc). you may be able to save time by rendering the sequence from the g5 from the current render that you already have rather than re-rendering an image sequence from c4d.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

anna greveRe: Snow Leopard & Dropped Frames in Quicktime???
by on Jan 30, 2010 at 4:00:58 pm

sorry this probably won't be much help, but since you mentioned permissions and you did get that weird error from after effects, have you tried running a permissions cleanup software like onyx?

I know that sometimes I have that dropped frame thing happen when I try to view an mpeg in after effects. I always have to convert it to something else first to see it properly.with that in mind maybe this post would help you? it mentiones getting the same error as you are having when using certain codecs...

another thing you could try since I think you mentioend you're on windows (?) is deleting the prefs file. I know when I used to work on a PC I used to have to do that all the time and it fixed all kinds of problems.:)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved