ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Upgrading Ram, difference between 1gb/2gbs/4gbs per stick?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Ferran
Upgrading Ram, difference between 1gb/2gbs/4gbs per stick?
on Jan 29, 2010 at 3:04:23 pm

I didn't know where else to ask this and since I'm upgrading for AE I thought this was the place. I have gotten my superiors to approve 8 extra gbs of RAM on top of my 2 already in the machine. I can either get 4 - 2gb sticks, or 2 - 4gb sticks. Is there a performance difference? is there any advantage either way? Thanks...

Charles Ferran
845-699-5270
http://www.charlesferran.com

"Far better is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with the poor spirits who neither enjoy much, nor suffer much because they live in a gray twilight that knows no victory or defeat."

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
Re: Upgrading Ram, difference between 1gb/2gbs/4gbs per stick?
on Jan 29, 2010 at 3:37:07 pm

Only an IT guy can tell you the realistically insignificant performance difference that might (very doubtfully) exist so the main consideration is that its generally best to get the largest RAM capacity currently available per stick.

The reason is future expansion ... if, for example, your machine has 4 slots and you fill them all with 2Gb sticks to get 8Gb, then you decide to go to 16Gb a year from now, those four 2Gb sticks become garbage. However, if you fill two slots with 4Gb sticks to get 8Gb today, you can just buy two more 4Gb sticks a year from now.

Return to posts index

Charles Ferran
on Jan 29, 2010 at 3:58:15 pm

that was my thinking too, I was just worried there might be some kind of unforeseen (to me anyway) consequences later down the road. Thanks for the input.

Charles Ferran
845-699-5270
http://www.charlesferran.com

"Far better is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with the poor spirits who neither enjoy much, nor suffer much because they live in a gray twilight that knows no victory or defeat."

Return to posts index

Jako Krull
on Jan 31, 2010 at 10:13:27 pm

Well 4 GB sticks cost alot more then 2 GB sticks at the moment , so upgrading to 16 GB a year later will problaby come cheaper then buying two 4 GB sticks right away.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]