ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Slow Motion

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Di BugnaraSlow Motion
by on Jan 28, 2010 at 9:52:27 pm

I have a shot of someone running shot on RED, 4K, 24fps.

I'd like to slow-motion the shot to around 50% speed. FCP and AfterEffects produce poor results. The third-party plug-ins seems costly and a bit complex, but might be a good option.

Can anyone recommend a solution that produces good results and is relatively inexpensive and simple?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Slow Motion
by on Jan 28, 2010 at 11:09:07 pm

What are you using in After Effects? Timewarp? Time remapping? Time stretch?

Here's a section that describes the options:
"Time-stretching and time-remapping"

Note that you'll get very different results depending on which kind of frame blending you use to interpolate the frames. Pixel Motion looks a lot better than Frame Mix.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Slow Motion
by on Jan 29, 2010 at 12:45:22 am

Since, considering your initial post, you might be skeptical of such advice from a company guy (even though Todd K. is an objective and awesome AE resource), I'll just chime in to say that I too consistently get poor results with time adjustments in FCP, but get great results in AE ... however, as Todd pointed out, the results do depend entirely on how you go about it and the settings you use.

Also, although it sounds too late since you've already shot your footage, but my personal opinion is that, when extreme time adjustments are needed, the best results are gained by using a combination of software methods in post and in-camera methods (if you have access to a camera that is capable).

Return to posts index

Scott RobertsRe: Slow Motion
by on Jan 29, 2010 at 12:50:35 am

Can you re-shoot? If you can, re-shoot the scene at a higher FPS - Red is capable of shooting 60fps at 3K, or 120fps at 2K.

Return to posts index

Bill KellyRe: Slow Motion
by on Jan 29, 2010 at 1:02:37 am

Andrew Kramer's tutorial on Speed Variation will show you how to get good results using pixel motion.

Return to posts index

Carlos WeaverRe: Slow Motion
by on Jan 29, 2010 at 5:04:09 am

I don't have a solution but have a similar problem. I am working on a one second shot that I would like to make two seconds (200%). I have been using time remapping, time stretching, time warp filter, and have not been satisfied with the results. I have the best results with pixel motion turned on but there is a weird phenomenon happening. The edges of my character are pulling pixels surrounding his body with him for a couple frames at a time. And when his arm crosses his body it produces pixelated holes. Is there a solution to this? I have done some previous searching and found a 3rd party plugin called Twixtor. Does anybody know if it is worth the money?

Thank you.

Carlos Weaver

Return to posts index

Dave JohnsonRe: Slow Motion
by on Jan 29, 2010 at 3:54:54 pm

Twixtor works very well ... in my opinion, as with all tools, whether it is "worth the money" depends on your budget, how much you're charging for the work you'd use it on, how often you'll use it, etc.

[Carlos Weaver] "when his arm crosses his body it produces pixelated holes"

I've done tons of time-remapping in AE and have never seen it produce holes so it sounds like that could be a function of the footage you're working with ... what codec, frame rate, etc. are you working with?

Although I get very good results with time-remapping in AE, I stand by my opinion in my previous post about how to get perfect results ... perfect is just rarely necessary for some of us so its a trade-off.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 29, 2010 at 4:00:14 pm

The footage was shot on a red camera and processed from the R3D file to a Uncompressed 10bit 4:2:2 at 24fps.

Return to posts index

Dave JohnsonRe: Slow Motion
by on Jan 29, 2010 at 4:22:26 pm

In that case you should have no issues at all and I'm not sure why you are. I have no direct experience working with R3D footage, but as I believe someone mentioned in this string and from what I've heard from peers and reading, you can shoot at pretty high frame rates with R3D cams so if reshooting is at all an option, it might be easier than spending a bunch of time troubleshooting post issues.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 29, 2010 at 4:44:19 pm

Thank you for your help. I'll keep trying.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved