ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

what effects are used in this clip?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Burns
what effects are used in this clip?
on Jan 28, 2010 at 9:45:47 pm

Can someone tell me what effects are used in this clip and how to achieve this look? I thought it was maybe just a glow keyframed and maybe a couple of scale keyframes. Not sure how to get the quick up and down shake other than keyframing position. Seems like there should be an easier way. Also, I'm not sure if it would be possible to use premiere or if it's easier in AE

Return to posts index

David Franklin
Re: what effects are used in this clip?
on Jan 28, 2010 at 10:11:29 pm

I see:
Glow
A second layer of video that’s been blown up, offset, and superimposed on the first.
A directional blur that comes in and out quickly in a vertical direction.
More glow.
More superimposed second layer.
More directional blur.
More glow.

I think the sentence you wrote in your post that worried me was: "Seems like there should be an easier way."

To me, this doesn't look very complicated, even if you did it all by hand. And setting animation presets to bring the glows in and out, or to ramp directional blurs in and out should be pretty straightforward as well, if you did want to make it go a little quicker.

http://www.artisanaltelevision.com
Made With Care In Brooklyn, NY

Return to posts index

Chris Burns
on Jan 28, 2010 at 10:44:05 pm

Thanks for the reply David

The person that created this said they used Sony Vegas. I'm not familiar with that but I assumed that it was like Premiere and there were just some presets that they added. It also seemed like AE wasn't as good a choice as Premiere as far as a 3 min project. It just seems that most things done in AE are short effects clips. I'll probaly try to do the effects in AE in segments and import back to Premiere or should I just do the whole thing in AE?

Thanks again for the help

Return to posts index

David Franklin
on Jan 28, 2010 at 10:51:30 pm

Chris, there's nothing here that you shouldn't be able to do directly in any NLE, whether it's Vegas or Premiere or Final Cut Pro or Avid.

Since I'm an editor by training, I say when you CAN stay in an edit program for something like this, I think you're better off doing it in an edit program. Real time playback is key for music videos, and once you render each effect once in Premiere, it should stay rendered.

There are plenty of three minute pieces in the world that have to be made in AE for every shot. But this probably isn't one of them. You just likely need to learn how to do directional blurs and save presets Premiere (which I don't know how to do, though I'd be happy to show you how to do it on an Avid).

Hope this helps.

http://www.artisanaltelevision.com
Made With Care In Brooklyn, NY

Return to posts index

Chris Burns
on Jan 28, 2010 at 11:04:24 pm

Thanks again for your time David. I am going to try to stay in Premiere as you suggest. As you also mentioned it's nice to do it in real time for to get it to match up with the music. I will give it a whirl and see how it works. I haven't used many effects in Premier but it will be good to learn. This is going to be a sports video with the same music. Usually I try to throw a few effects done in AE to make it more interesting and them some slow motion but I thought this effect would be something different from what I've done in the past. Always trying to come up with something a little different then the last one.

Thanks, Chris- MN

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jan 29, 2010 at 12:53:20 am

Looks like directional blur and glow.

http://www.myr3d.com

Return to posts index

Ben Heusner Brownlee
on Jan 29, 2010 at 6:20:57 am

And an Additive Dissolve that takes you between shots. That's done very easily in your NLE.

Good luck in your project,
Ben

Curious Turtle Pro Video
Training | Editing | Support
Out Now - Film Wash Color Effects Vol. 3
& Mocha training for AE & FCP

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]