ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects to Final Cut Pro Rendering??

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael RayfordAfter Effects to Final Cut Pro Rendering??
by on Jan 28, 2010 at 12:56:33 am

Importing footage from Final Cut Pro into After Effects CS4, once all the work is done in AE CS4, what is the correct way to render out to be brought back into Final Cut Pro so that footage is the exact same as it was imported except for any effects added?

Return to posts index

Bartek SkorupaRe: After Effects to Final Cut Pro Rendering??
by on Jan 28, 2010 at 8:24:07 am

Try this one:

http://www.popcornisland.com/after-effects/final-cut-2-after-effects/

This will allow you to bring all your Final Cut project to AE. Then you can render the clips with effects from AE and go through Premiere Pro.
Just import your rendered clips back to AE, place it where you want them to be, copy them, paste them in the correct point of time in Premiere - Export EDL, import EDL to Final Cut, chose reconnect option, and reconnect the media to the files rendered in AE.

I know, I know... Lot to do, but I can tell you - I do it on a daily basis, and it works for me. The important thing is to have your assets in order. Otherwise you will never find what you are looking for. You have to have a system of naming everything, etc.

Bartek Skorupa
Warszawa, Poland

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: After Effects to Final Cut Pro Rendering??
by on Jan 28, 2010 at 3:07:05 pm

Regarding compression when rendering out of AE, you can a) compress to the codec of your FCP sequence, or b) compress to the Animation codec (negligible compression), then compress to your FCP sequence codec with Quicktime Pro. This is what I do with DVCPRO HD. Your mileage may vary.

Regarding gamma issues between the two apps due to the RGB vs. YUV processing, search the COW for "gamma", FCP, "final cut Pro", that sort of thing.

It will never be exactly the same. You just don't want to see any differences. I'd import the FCP footage into AE from cut to cut, so any slight difference between AE and non-AE footage is covered by the cut when brought back into FCP. If, however, you have a long take with one short AE effect in the middle (such as a Star Trek transporter effect, I'd consider importing the clip into AE with handles on it so you can dissolve on either end of the AE footage to smooth out any tiny mismatch, possibly masking around the affected area.

That's my experience. Others may have a better solution.

Return to posts index

Michael RayfordRe: After Effects to Final Cut Pro Rendering??
by on Jan 28, 2010 at 5:45:13 pm

Thanks for the quick responses, I am looking at all ideas being given, but just so you know exactly what I am looking at right now....importing 7 mins of apple prores footage into AE, doing many effects shots in footage, wanted to render out just the effects to place on top of footage in FCP, but the image quality is just a little off on the rotoscoped sections of the effects, it doesn't quite match up...Decided to render out the footage and effects as a whole, but when compared to original it has lost a little quality and contrast..I have rendered out many different ways and I have gotten close, but I want the footage to be the same as the apple prores, if possible so I don't have to render the complete footage out with my effects every time.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: After Effects to Final Cut Pro Rendering??
by on Jan 28, 2010 at 11:37:29 pm

You mentioned ProRes, so I have to point you to these posts:
"ProRes 4444 colors and gamma shift when working with After Effects and Fin...
"ProRes 422 colors in After Effects"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Michael RayfordRe: After Effects to Final Cut Pro Rendering??
by on Jan 29, 2010 at 1:38:10 am

I have searched everywhere for the MediacoreQTGammaRulesCS4.xml file on my computer and I can't find it anywhere. Does it matter if I'm on a PC or Mac, cause I am on a PC. Basically as far as I can see it does not exist on my system. Any ideas??

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]