ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Earthquake Epicenter Rings in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexander MinasEarthquake Epicenter Rings in After Effects
by on Jan 27, 2010 at 4:34:20 pm

Hello, I'm working on an earthquake safety video and I need to create earthquake epicenter rings in motion on a map. Can anyone tell me the best way to do this? I heard of using the "radio wave" effect, but I never used it before. I'm working on AE CS4. Please help!

Return to posts index

David FranklinRe: Earthquake Epicenter Rings in After Effects
by on Jan 27, 2010 at 4:53:54 pm

Well, I think radio waves is certainly a good place to start. But it might be might be more striking if used in combination with a displacement map effect.

Try making a comp with the map of the earthquake zone and a plain solid. Then apply Effect > Generate > Radio Waves to the solid layer. Adjust the settings until you get a propagation pattern you like, then precompose that solid layer, being sure to click the radio box for "move all attributes into the new composition."

Then go back to your original comp, select your hero map layer, and use Effect > Distort > Displacement Map. Select the precomp layer as your "Displacement Map Layer," select "stretch map to fit," and try a RAM preview. You'll see the effect the waves are having on your map layer. You can then go into the precomp to adjust the settings on the wave to suit your taste.

Hope that works for you.
Made With Care In Brooklyn, NY

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Earthquake Epicenter Rings in After Effects
by on Jan 27, 2010 at 5:40:10 pm

Dave's suggestion is similar to my first thought. So, just to show that there are other approaches, I'll point out the Wave World effect. It may be overkill for what you're trying to do, but I'd check it out.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved