ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Selection Tool doesn't drag-select in the Composition Panel

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandan VanderpoolSelection Tool doesn't drag-select in the Composition Panel
by on Jan 27, 2010 at 1:17:19 pm

My Selection Tool doesn't drag-select in the Composition Panel.
It selects alright in the panel, but cannot drag-select. I can get it to appear in certain modes like when selecting points for a mask or custom shape layer. However, the marquee doesn't appear for predefined shapes nor for selecting layers. This only happens in th Composition Panel. I deleted my local folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\Usr\Application Data\Adobe\After Effects
but the control still isn't resetting.

Am I crazy?
Can anyone help?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Selection Tool doesn't drag-select in the Composition Panel
by on Jan 27, 2010 at 4:44:12 pm

I think that you're trying to do something that isn't a feature of After Effects. Dragging a selection box (marquee) is not a universal means of selecting things in After Effects. In the Composition panel, it works for Puppet pins, mask vertices and segments, and shape vertices and segments, but only then when you're in the relevant mode.

See these pages for specifics:

"Select paths and vertices in path-editing mode"

Select masks, segments, and vertices

"Work with Puppet pins and the distortion mesh"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Brandan VanderpoolRe: Selection Tool doesn't drag-select in the Composition Panel
by on Jan 27, 2010 at 6:12:07 pm

I'll be waiting outside for the newb police to arrest me. Also, I shouldn't be comping at 5 in the morning, confusing my program interfaces. At least I got myself a feature request. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]