ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Credit roll speed issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sacha SojicCredit roll speed issue
by on Jan 26, 2010 at 9:51:19 pm

Hello to all,

We've just finished D.I. and film recording for a feature that's being released theatrically this year. When I viewed the end of the last reel, I noticed some steady flickering in the final credit roll . I'm guessing that even for projects that are being filmed out, a certain speed should be respected to avoid flickering of the end credits.

The end roll is a rasterized Photoshop file that includes both text and logos. It is being animated vertically in an After Effects comp

Many posts on this forum deal with this issue for SD and interlaced HD projects, but none address 24 fps film specifically. Can anyone offer any insight on how to solve this problem? Can the Mercury Jones preset help?

Thanks,

S. Sojic
Montreal, QC

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Credit roll speed issue
by on Jan 26, 2010 at 10:06:21 pm

[Sacha Sojic] "Many posts on this forum deal with this issue for SD and interlaced HD projects, but none address 24 fps film specifically. "

That doesn't matter: it's the same principle. I presume you know that shooting on a TV camera is NOT 24FPS but 23.976. RED? Probably a different story. Those things have such a convoluted work flow it isn't funny.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Sacha Sojic] "Can the Mercury Jones preset help? "

Don't use it. Instead, use this expression written by Kevin Camp, the gent who made Mercury Jones. You can NOT expect a credit roll using this expression to time out exactly the same as your previous credit roll. It just wont happen, nor is there any magic way to make it happen. The goal here is flicker-free credit rolls, not perfectly-timed credit rolls. That said, here it is:

rate = 2; //value in px/sec.
if (marker.numKeys > 0){
if (time > marker.key(1).time){
value - [0,rate*timeToFrames(time-marker.key(1).time)];
}else{
value;
}
}else{
value - [0,rate*timeToFrames(time-inPoint)];
}\

just position the roll where you want it to start and it will march up the screen at the rate that you set. even rate values should be used if you are rendering to an interlaced format, and if you set the rate too high the roll will appear kind of strobe-like.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Credit roll speed issue
by on Jan 26, 2010 at 10:29:34 pm

There's some information on this page that can help:
"Best practices for creating text and vector graphics for video"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Tim MontiqRe: Credit roll speed issue
by on May 2, 2011 at 2:49:11 pm

What value to use this on? I've my entire credit roll using a null for the position change. I'm applying this expression to that null in CS5 and am getting an syntax error Expression disabled on line 11.

Your help is much appreciated.

Improper planning on your part doesn't necessarily constitute and emergency on my part

Return to posts index

by on May 2, 2011 at 2:56:38 pm

[Tim Montiq] "What value to use this on? "

The Position property.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on May 2, 2011 at 3:32:09 pm

Dave,

I'm applying this to the position property of the null moving my credits and am getting the error.

Improper planning on your part doesn't necessarily constitute and emergency on my part

Return to posts index

by on May 2, 2011 at 3:43:18 pm

The only thing that immediately comes to mind is this: you're trying to use 3D layers, and it won't work in 3D.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on May 2, 2011 at 4:02:52 pm

Could it be that my null does not have a size to drive the expression?

Return to posts index

by on May 2, 2011 at 4:06:41 pm

Yeah, that's true; I forgot how the expression works -- on the actual credit roll layer. The expression figures out the number of vertical pixels involved. So using a null won't work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Arlo IhrigRe: Credit roll speed issue
by on May 2, 2012 at 8:02:37 am

Hi guys,

Ok, so I have a question - I used the expression here to get a scroll going - that works. But I'm trying to figure out how to get it slowly start scrolling - not just ON.

I have a 5 end title cards that fade out/fade in, then I need to start scrolling everything up. Right now I have my text layers parented to a null, and the expression moves the null starting after the title cards. But just all of a sudden starts scrolling.

What I need to do is have the scroll start gradually over 12 frames or something.

I'm somewhat new to AE expressions, but not programming - I've tried to figure a way to do this with keyframes but that = bad. =)

Anyone know of a way to do this? I have to have my titles done by the end of the day (yikes!).

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]